Dr Stephen R Euston
- +44 (0)131 451 3640
John Muir Building
Roles and responsibilities
My research encompasses both theoretical (computer simulation) and experimental approaches to understanding the functional of food proteins. I have a long-standing interest in modelling the adsorption of proteins at fluid (air-water and oil-water interfaces) with relevance to their emulsifying and foaming abilities. Other computer modelling projects have included studies of the denaturation aggregation and gelation of globular proteins and the self-association of casein to form micelles.
Current projects in my laboratory are:
- Understanding the Molecular Basis of Fat Replacement
- Understanding the Surface Chemistry of Bile Salts
- Molecular Dynamics Simulation of Protein Adsorption at Fluid Interfaces
- Molecular Dynamics Simulation of Globular Protein Denaturation
- Characterising the Functional Properties of Proteins from Date Seeds
- Functional Properties of Partially Denatured Protein Mixtures.
- S.R. Euston, Modelling and Simulation in Food Science - Principles and Applications. John Wiley and Sons in preparation, due date Sept. 2011.
- S.R.Euston, G. Costello, Md. A. Naser, M. Nicolosi, (2007). Modeling and computer simulation of food structures. In Understanding and Controlling the Microstructure of Complex Foods, (ed. D.J. McClements), CRC Press, Cambridge.
- S.R. Euston, (2007). Emulsifiers in dairy products and dairy substitutes. In Food Emulsifiers and Their Applications, (eds G.L. Hasenhuettl and R.W. Hartel), 2nd Edition, Chapman & Hall, New York.
- S.R.Euston. Dairy Substitutes, (2007). In Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology (On-Line edn), John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ.
- S.R. Euston and R.L. Hirst, 2000. Comparison of the Concentration-dependent Emulsifying Properties of Protein Products Containing Aggregated and Non-aggregated Milk Protein. International Dairy Journal, 9, 693-701.
- S.R. Euston, S.R. Finnigan and R.L. Hirst, (2000). Aggregation Kinetics in Heated Whey Protein Stabilized Emulsions. Food Hydrocolloids, 14, 155-161.
- S.R. Euston and R.L.Hirst, (2000).The Emulsifying Properties of Commercial Milk Protein Products in Simple Oil-in-Water Emulsions and in a Model Food System. Journal of Food Science, 65(6), 934-940.
- S.R. Euston and P.G. Mayhill, (2001). Time- and Temperature-dependent Changes in the Adsorbed Layer on Caseinate-stabilised Emulsion Droplet. Food Research International, 34 (5), 369-376.
- S.R. Euston, S.R. Finnigan and R.L. Hirst, (2001). Aggregation Kinetics in Heated Whey Protein Stabilized Emulsions II. Effect of Low-Molecular Weight Emulsifiers. Food Hydrocolloids, 15(3), 253-262.
- S.R. Euston and S.R. Finnigan, (2001). Aggregation Kinetics in Heated Emulsions Stabilized by Hydrolysed Whey Protein. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, 49 11), 5576-5583.
- S.R. Euston, S.R. Finnigan and R.L. Hirst, (2002).Aggregation Kinetics in Heated Whey Protein Stabilized Emulsions III. Effect of Polysaccharide Stabilizers. Food Hydrocolloids, 16, 499-505.
- H. Wium, S.R. Euston and K.B. Qvist, (2002). Structure-Texture Relationships in Model Cheese. Australian Journal of Dairy Technology, 57 (2), 97.
- S.R. Euston, I. Piska, H. Wium and K.B. Qvist, (2002). Controlling The Structure And Rheological Properties Of Model Cheese Systems. Australian Journal of Dairy Technology, 57 (2), 145-152.
- S. K. Lee, R. J. Buwalda, S. R. Euston, E. A. Foegeding and A. B. McKenna, (2003). Changes in the Rheology and Microstructure of Processed Cheese during Cooking. Lebensm-Wiss. U.-Technol., 30, 339-345.
- L. Campbell, V. Raikos and S.R.Euston. (2003). Modification of functional properties of egg-white proteins. Nahrung, 47(6), 369-376.
- S.R. Euston, (2004). Computer Simulation of Proteins: Adsorption, Gelation and Self-Association. Current Opinion in Colloid and Interface Science, 9, 321-327.
- S.R. Euston & D.S. Horne, 2005). “Simulating the Self-Association of Caseins. Food Hydrocolloids, 19, 379-386.
- L. Campbell, V. Raikos and S.R. Euston, (2005). Heat stability and emulsifying ability of whole egg and egg yolk as related to heat treatment. Food Hydrocolloids, 19, 533-539.
- S.R.Euston & Md. A. Naser, (2005). Modelling the Equation of State of Globular Proteins Adsorbed at a Surface. Langmuir, 21(9), 4227-4235.
- V. Raikos, R. Hansen, L. Campbell & S.R. Euston, (2006). Separation And Identification Of Hen Egg Proteins Using SDS-PAGE And 2-D Gel Electrophoresis With MALDI-TOF Mass Spectrometry. Food Chemistry, 99, 702-710.
- G. Costello & S.R.Euston, (2006). A Monte Carlo Simulation of the Denaturation, Aggregation Phase Separation and Gelation of Model Globular Molecules. Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 110, 10151-10164.
- V. Raikos, L. Campbell & S.R. Euston, (2007). Rheology and Texture of Hen’s Egg Protein Heat-Set Gels as Affected by pH and the Addition of Sugar and/or Salt. Food Hydrocolloids, 21, 237-244.
- V. Raikos, L. Campbell & S.R. Euston, (2007). Effects of sucrose and sodium chloride on foaming properties of egg white proteins. Food Research International, 40, 347-355.
- S.R. Euston, S. Ur-Rehman & G. Costello, (2007). Denaturation and Aggregation of β-lactoglobulin – A Preliminary Molecular Dynamics Study. Food Hydrocolloids, 21, 1081-1091.
- S.R. Euston & M. Nicolosi,(2007). Simulating the Self-Association of Caseins: towards a Model for the Casein Micelle. Le Lait – Dairy Science & Technology, 87, 389-412.
- S.R.Euston, P. Hughes, Md A. Naser & R. Westacott, (2008). Comparing the conformation of barley LTP-1 adsorbed at a water-vacuum and a water-decane interface: a molecular dynamics study, Biomacromolecules, 9, 1443-1453.
- S.R.Euston, P. Hughes, Md A. Naser & R. Westacott, (2008). Molecular Dynamics Simulation of the Co-operative Adsorption of Barley Lipid Transfer Protein and cis Iso-cohumulone at the Vacuum-Water Interface, Biomacromolecules, 9, 3024-3032.
- L. Campbell, X. Gu, S.J. Dewar & S.R. Euston, (2009). Influence of sugars on the rheology and texture of glucono-δ-lactone-induced soy protein gels. Food Hydrocolloids, 23, 314-326.
- L. Campbell, X. Gu, S.J. Dewar & S.R. Euston, (2009). Effects of heat treatment and glucono-δ-lactone-induced acidification on characteristics of soy protein isolate. Food Hydrocolloids, 23, 344-351.
- L. Campbell, X. Gu, S.J. Dewar & S.R. Euston, (2009). Effects of different oils on the properties of soy protein isolate emulsions and gels, Food Research International, 42, 925-932.
- S.R.Euston, A.A. Al-Bakkush & L. Campbell. (2009). Comparing the Heat Stability of Soya Protein and Milk Whey Protein Emulsions, Food Hydrocolloids, 23, 2485-2492.
- S.R.Euston, (2010). Molecular Dynamics Simulation of Protein Adsorption at Fluid Interfaces: A Comparison of All-Atom and Coarse-Grained Models. Biomacromolecules, 10, 2781-2787.
- S.R.Euston, U. Bellstedt & K. Schillbach, (2011). The Adsorption and Competitive Adsorption of Bile Salts and Whey Protein at the Oil-Water Interface, Food Hydrocolloids, submitted.
I graduated from the University of Leeds with BSc (Hons) in Food Science (1985) and PhD (Food Science, 1989). My thesis involved the application of computer simulation methods to the study of food proteins and colloids. After Postdoctoral positions at Leeds I worked as an analytical chemist for Yorkshire water Labservices in York, before moving to New Zealand to take up a position with the New Zealand Dairy Research Institute (now Fonterra Research). Here I became interested in the functional properties of food proteins and developed an experimental research programme to complement my computational interests. After 7 years I returned to Europe to take up a post as Associate Professor in the Dept. of Dairy Science, School of Food Science, Royal Veterinary & Agriculture University, Copenhagen (now Copenhagen University). In 2001, I joined Heriot-Watt as a lecturer in Food & Beverage Technology.