- +44 (0) 1856 850 605
- ICIT, Old Academy, Back Road, Stromness, Orkney, KW16 3AW
Roles and responsibilities
- Energy Technology Partnership (ETP)
- PhD Student
PhD project: Marine renewable energy modelling.
Mathematical and numerical modelling of coastal and near-shore hydrodynamics:
- representation of sub-mesoscale flow and random variation using continuum methods;
- simulation of tidal energy extraction;
- application of SUNTANS code to Pentland Firth and Orkney waters.
Previous research and interests:
- Constitutive modelling of structured and unsaturated soils and concrete:
anisotropic elasticity, subloading plasticity, damage.
- Seismic dynamics of tall buildings.
- Finite deformation of flexible structures.
- Explicit numerical integration with error control.
- Parameter estimation for complex nonlinear models using numerical minimization.
- Modular modelling and software design.
- System dynamics.
- Hiley, R. A. and Rouainia, M. 'Explicit Runge-Kutta methods for the integration of rate-type constitutive equations', Computational Mechanics, 42(1):53-66, 2008.
- Wilkinson, S. M. and Hiley, R. A. 'A non-linear response history model for the seismic analysis of high-rise framed buildings', Computers and Structures, 84(5-6):318-329, 2006.
- Hiley, R. A. and Rouainia, M. 'Simple elastoplasticity for natural clays', in Computational Plasticity VIII: Fundamentals and Applications. Part 2, D. R. J. Owen, E. Onate and B. Suarez (eds.), 954-957. CIMNE, Barcelona, 2005.
- Reeve, D. E. and Hiley, R. A. 'Numerical prediction of tidal flow in shallow water', in Computer Modelling of Seas and Coastal Regions, P. W. Partridge (ed.), 197-208. Computational Mechanics, Southampton, 1992.
- 2012 PhD Student. Heriot-Watt University, International Centre for Island Technology, Orkney.
Marine energy modelling.
- 2010 Research Assistant. London South Bank University, Department of Urban Engineering.
Mathematical modelling of unsaturated, lime-stabilized clay.
- 2002 Research Associate. Newcastle University, School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences.
Constitutive modelling of structured soils and concrete.
Seismic dynamics of tall buildings.
Finite deformation modelling of flexible shells.
- 1993 Senior Research Associate. University of Newcastle upon Tyne,
Water Resource Systems Research Laboratory.
Hydrological modelling software management.
Unix systems administration.
- 1988 Higher Scientific Officer. Computational Fluid Dynamics Services, Harwell Laboratory.
Environmental and industrial applications of CFD.
Custom software development.
- 1985 Engineer. GEC Energy Systems Ltd, Leicester.
Mathematical modelling and software development for energy system design.
- M.Sc. Applied Energy. Cranfield Institute of Technology, School of Mechanical Engineering.
- B.A. Mathematics. University of Warwick, Department of Mathematics.