Dr Mark G J Hartl
Director of Studies
- +44 (0) 131 451 3461
- Room G.11, John Muir Building, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS, United Kingdom
Roles and responsibilities
- Associate Professor of Marine Biology
- Director, Centre for Marine Biodiversity & Biotechnology
- Director of Studies for Marine, Environment and Climate Change MSc cluster
- MSc in Marine Resource Development & Protection
- MSc in Marine Biodiversity & Biotechnology
- MSc in Climate Change: Managing the Marine Environment
- MSc in Climate Change: Impact and Mitigation
- MSc in Marine Science
- Past President of the Physiology Section of the American Fisheries Society
- MASTS representative on the Scottish Government's Marine Litter Strategy Steering Committee Advisory Group
- Convenor MASTS Marine Stressors Forum
I am interested in ecophysiology & ecotoxicology of organisms, the general ecophysiology of benthic organisms, the fate of organic and inorganic pollutants in the marine and estuarine environment. My research activity has focused on sediment-associated organotin compounds and oilfield chemicals, bioaccumulation capacity of filter-feeders for metals and importance of exposure history, as well as the potential impact of manufactured nanoparticles and microplastic contamination of the marine environment, and the role of climate change in multi-stressor biomarker endpoint assessments.
Blumenröder, F., Sechet, P., Kokonnen, J. and Hartl, M. G. J. (In press). Microplastic contamination of intertidal sediments of Scapa Flow, Orkney: a first assessment. Mar Pollut Bull DOI:10. 1016/ j. marpolbul. 2017. 07. 009.
Connell, S., Fernandes, T. F., Hartl, M. G. J. (in press). Climate change: implications for ecotoxicological environmental impact assessment. JEE. 10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0001292
Miller, M.A., Bankier, C., Al-Shaeri, M.A.M., Hartl, M.G.J., (2015). Neutral Red cytotoxicity assays for assessing in vivo carbon nanotube ecotoxicity in mussels – comparing microscope and microplate methods. Mar Pollut Bull. 101(2): p. 903-7.
Hartl, M.G.J., 2015. Fish Ecotoxicology in a Changing World: do we Need New Biomarker Endpoints in Light of Climate Change? J Fish Sci.com. 9, 049-051.
Hartl, M.G.J., Gubbins, E., Gutierrez, T., Fernandes, T.F., 2015. Review of existing knowledge – emerging contaminant. Focus on nanomaterials and microplastics in the aquatic environment. CREW, p. 20.
Echavarri-Bravo, V., Paterson, L., Aspray, T. J., Porter, J. S., Winson, M. K., Thornton, B. and Hartl, M. G. J. (2015). Shifts in the metabolic function of a benthic estuarine microbial community following a single pulse of silver nanoparticle exposure. Environmental Pollution 201, 91-99.
Scott-Fordsmand JJ, Pozzi-Mucelli S, Tran L, Aschberger K, Sabella S, Vogel U, Poland C, Balharry D, Fernandes T, Gottardo S, Hankin S, Hartl MGJ, Hartmann NB, Hristozov D, Hund-Rinke K, Johnston H, Marcomini A, Panzer O, Roncato D, Saber AT, Wallin H, Stone V (2014) A unified framework for nanosafety is needed. Nano Today 9: 546-549
Stone, V., Pozzi-Mucelli, S., Tran, L., Aschberger, K., Sabella, S., Vogel, U. B., Poland, C., Balharry, D., Fernandes, T., Gottardo, S., Hankin, S., Hartl, M. G. J., Hartmann, N., Hristozov, D., Hund-Rinke, K., Johnston, H., Marcomini, A., Panzer, O., Roncato, D., Saber, A. T., Wallin, H. & Scott-Fordsmand, J. J. (2014). ITS-NANO - Prioritising nanosafety research to develop a stakeholder driven intelligent testing strategy Part Fibre Toxicol 11.
Al-Shaeri, M., Ahmed, D., Mc Cluskey, F., Turner, G., Paterson, L., Dyrynda, E. A. & Hartl, M. G. J. (2013). Potentiating toxicological interaction of single-walled carbon nanotubes with dissolved metals. 32: 2701-2710.
Singh, R. and Hartl, M. G. J. (2012) Fluctuating estuarine conditions are not confounding factors for the Comet assay assessment of DNA damage in the mussel Mytilus edulis. Ecotoxicol.; 21: 1998-2003.
Hartl, M. G. J., Grigson, S and Sinet, E (2010) Maintenance of bivalve haemocytes for the purpose of delayed DNA strand break assessment using the Comet assay. Environ. Molecul. Mutagen.; 51: 64-68
Kilemade, M., Hartl, M. G. J., O'Halloran, J., O'Brien, N. Sheehan, D., Mothersil, C., van Pelt, F. N. A. M. (2009) Effects of contaminated sediment from Cork Harbour, Ireland on the cytochrome P450 system of turbot. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Safety 72: 747-755.
Hartl, M. G. J., Kilemade, M., Sheehan, D., O'Halloran, J., O'Brien, N. M. and van Pelt, F. N. A. M., 2007. Hepatic biomarkers of sediment-associated pollution in juvenile turbot, Scophthalmus maximus L. Mar. Environ. Res. 64, 191-208
Hartl, M. G. J., Kilemade, M., Coughlan, B. M., O'Halloran, J., van Pelt, F. N. A. M., Sheehan, D., Mothersill, C. & O'Brien, N. M. 2006. A two-species biomarker model for the assessment of sediment toxicity in the marine and estuarine environment. Journal of Environmental Science and Health - A, 41, 939-953.
Ni Shuilleabhain, S., Davoren, M., Mothersill, C., Sheehan, D., Hartl, M. G. J., Kilemade, M., O'Brien, N. M., O'Halloran, J., Van Pelt, F. N. A. M. & Lyng, F. M. 2005. Identification of a multi xenobiotic resistance mechanism in primary cultured epidermal cells from Oncorhynchus mykiss and the effects of environmental complex mixtures on its activity. Aquat. Toxicol. 73: 115-127.
Davoren, M., Ni Shuilleabhain, S., O'Halloran, J., Hartl, M. G. J., Sheehan, D., O'Brien, N. M., Van Pelt, F. N. A. M. & Mothersill, C. 2005. A Test Battery Approach for the Ecotoxicological Evaluation of Estuarine Sediments. Ecotoxicol. 14: 741-755.
Davoren, M., Ni Shuilleabhain, S., Hartl, M. G. J., Tyrell, L., Sheehan, D., O'Brien, N. M., O'Halloran, J., Van Pelt, F. N. A. M. & Mothersill, C., 2005. Assessing the potential of fish cell lines as tools for the cytotoxicity testing of estuarine sediment elutriates. Toxicology in Vitro 19, 421–431.
Kilemade, M., Hartl, M. G. J., Sheehan, D., van Pelt, F. N. A. M., O'Brien, N. M. & O'Halloran, J., 2004. An assessment of the pollutant status of surficial sediment in Cork Harbour in the South East of Ireland with particular reference to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Marine Pollution Bulletin 49, 1084-1096..
Kilemade, M. F., Hartl, M. G. J., Sheehan, D., Mothersill, C., van Pelt, F., O'Halloran, J. & O'Brien, N. M., 2004. Genotoxicity of field-collected inter-tidal sediments from Cork Harbor, Ireland, to juvenile turbot (Scophthalmus maximus L.) as measured by the Comet assay. Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis 44, 56-64.
Hartl, M.G.J., Coughlan, B.M., Sheehan, D., van Pelt, F.N.A.M., Mothersill, C., Heffron, J.J.A., O'Reilly, S.J., O'Halloran, J. and O'Brien, N.M., 2004. Implications of seasonal priming and reproductive activity on the interpretation of Comet assay data derived from the clam, Tapes semidecussatus Reeves 1864, exposed to contaminated sediments. Marine Environmental Research, 57: 295-310.
Lyons, C., Dowling, V., Tedengren, M., Gardestrom, J., Hartl, M.G.J., O'Brien, N., van Pelt, F., O'Halloran, J. and Sheehan, D., 2003. Variability of heat shock proteins and glutathione S- transferase in gill and digestive gland of blue mussel, Mytilus edulis. Marine Environmental Research, 56(5): 585-597.
Latest Book Chapter
Hartl, M. G. J. (2011) Organotins and hydromineral homeostasis in aquatic animals. In Pagliarani, A; Trombetti, F.; Ventrella, V. (Eds) Biochemical and biological effects of organotins: 179-215. Bentham e Books.
- MSc in Zoology and Marine Ecology in 1996 from the University of Vienna, Austria.
- Internship at the IAEA's Marine Environment Laboratory in Monaco.
- PhD in Biological Oceanography in 2000 from Southampton University, UK
- Postdoctoral research and from 2001-2003 University College Cork, Ireland
- Temporary lecturer 2003-2006 at University College Cork, Ireland
- Lecturer in Marine Biology, Heriot-Watt University 2006 - 2013.
- Associate Professor of Marine Biology, Heriot-Watt 2013 - present
Grant & awards
- 2017: £15,960 Scottish Aquaculture Innovation Centre
- 2017: £2,500 Scottish Seafarms
- 2017: £2,000 MASTS Stressors forum small grants scheme
- 2017: £17,000 MASTS Prize PhD scholarship
- 2016: £50,000 James Watt PhD Scholarship programme
- 2014: £68,000 The Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia Cultural Bureau in the UK and Ireland)
- 2014: £3,000 MASTS coastal zone forum
- 2013: £24,000 NERC FENAC
- 2012: £30,000 CREW Centre of Expertise for Waters
- 2011: £80,000 FP7-NMP-2011-CSA, NMP.211.1.3-3.ITS-NANO
- 2010: £30,000 MASTS Prize studentship PhD proposal
- 2010: £60,000 Heriot-Watt Environment and Climate Change Theme PhD proposal
- 2010: £68,000 The Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia Cultural Bureau in the UK and Ireland
- 2009: £51,000 The Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia Cultural Bureau in the UK and Ireland
- 2008: £1,000 Edinburgh Convention Bureau travel award
- 2006: £1,000 USEPA travel grant
- 1999: Richard Newitt Prize ( University of Southampton, travel grant).
- 1997 University of Southampton research studentship.
- 1994: Travel grant for short-term scientific work abroad ( University of Vienna).
- Associate Editor Journal of Environmental Engineering
- Journal of Fisheries Science website.
Grant committees & advisory boards
- Member of the Peer Review Panel for the Swedish Research Council FORMAS
- Evaluation Panel: Environmental Pollution (2010-2014)
- Member of the Peer Review Panel for proposals submitted to the National
- Priorities Research Program (NPRP). The NPRP is the largest grant funding activity of the Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF).
- Reviewer for The Leverhulme Trust research applications.
- Reviewer for Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) research applications.
Professional & learned societies
- Fisheries Society of the British Isles
- Society of Environmental Toxicology & Chemistry (SETAC)
- American Fisheries Society
- 20th September, 2017. 15th Aquaculture Insurance & Risk Management Conference, Dubrovnik, Croatia. Title: “Marine Microplastics – Risks to Aquaculture” Link
- 7th December, 2016. Newcastle University. Title: Towards a microplastic baseline database for Scottish intertidal sediments” Link
- 12-16th June, 2016. Invited plenary speaker at the 12th Intenational Congress on the biology of Fish, Texas State University, San Marcos, USA.
- 15th November, 2013. University College Cork, Ireland. Title: Nanoecotoxicology at Heriot-Watt University.
- 19 February, 2010. Scottish Toxicology Interest Group Meeting, Napier University Edinburgh. Title: Biomarkers in marine ecotoxicology
- 18–22 July 2006, International Congress on the Biology of Fish St. John's Newfoundland, Canada. Title: The Role of ecotoxicology in environmental impact assessment – a new European perspective.
- 06–10 April 2005, international conference “Biomarkers, risk and environmental assessment” – CroWat final Conference, Cavtat, Croatia. Title: Biomarkers of sediment-associated pollution - constraints and strategies .
- 22 November 2002, Department of Biology, Memorial University of New Foundland, Canada: Title: Ionic and osmoregulation in fish - constraints and strategies.
- 21 November 2002, Ocean Sciences Centre, Memorial University of New Foundland, Canada:Title: Sediment-associated pollutants and hydromineral regulation of benthic fish.
Conferences & meetings
- Conference chair and local host of 11th International Congress on the Biology of Fish (American Fisheries Society, Physiology Section) 3-7 August, 2014 at Heriot-Watt (http://icbf2014.sls.hw.ac.uk).
- Co-organiser of a symposium, “Fish in a toxic world: Biomarkers and impacts of exposure” at the American Fisheries Society, Physiology Section's 10th International Conference on the Biology of Fish. 15-19 July 2012, Madison, Wisconsin. Fish Biology Congress
- Co-organiser of 45th European Marine Biology Symposium. 23-27 August, 2010. Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh. EMBS website
- Co-organiser of a symposium, “Fish in a toxic world: Biomarkers and impacts of exposure” at the American Fisheries Society, Physiology Section's 9th International Conference on the Biology of Fish. 5-9 July 2010, Barcelona, Spain. Fish Biology Congress
- Co-organiser of a symposium: "" at the forth-coming American Fisheries Society, Physiology Chapter's Conference, 28 July - 01 August 2008, Portland, Oregan. Visit the Fish Biology Congress website.
- Co-organiser of a symposium: "New Perspectives on Environmental Pollution in Fish" at the forth-coming American Fisheries Society, Physiology Chapter's Conference, 28 July - 01 August 2008, Portland, Oregan. Visit the Fish Biology Congress website.
- Organiser of a symposium: "Ecotoxicological biomarkers in fish" at the American Fisheries Society, Physiology Chapter's Conference, 18–26 July 2006, St. John's, New Foundland. Visit the Fish Biology Congress website.
- Co-organiser Irish Society of Toxicology Spring Conference. “Biomonitoring: Environmental and Public Health Perspectives!”, 26–27 March 2004. University College Cork.
- Session chair (Environmental Assessment - Ecotoxociology IV) Environ2002, 25–27 January 2002, Cork.