Prof. Suzanne Fitzpatrick
Professor / Director of Institute (ISPHERE)
- +44 (0)131 451 8362
William Arrol Building
- Homelessness and housing exclusion
- Housing policy
- Housing law
- Housing rights
- Social housing
- Domestic abuse and violence
- Begging, street drinking and other aspects of street culture
- Social justice, social cohesion and social exclusion
- Critical realism
- Fitzpatrick, S. & Pleace, N. (forthcoming 2012) ‘The statutory homelessness system in England: a fair and effective rights-based model?', Housing Studies
- Fitzpatrick, S., Johnsen, S. & White, M. (forthcoming 2011) ‘Multiple Exclusion Homelessness in the UK: Key patterns and intersections', Social Policy and Society
- Stephens, M., Fitzpatrick, S., Elsinga, M., Steen, G.V. and Chzhen, Y. (2010) Study on Housing Exclusion: Welfare policies, Labour Market and Housing Provision. Brussels: European Commission. Available as free download Publication
- Johnsen, S. & Fitzpatrick, S. (2010) ‘Revanchism or coercive care? Street homelessness policies in England', Urban Studies, 47: 1703-1723.
- Fitzpatrick, S. & Johnsen, S. (2009) 'The use of enforcement to combat street culture in England: an ethical approach?', Ethics and Social Welfare, 3(3): 284-302.
- Fitzpatrick, S., Quilgars, D. & Pleace, N. (eds.) (2009) Homelessness in the UK: Problems and Solutions. Coventry: Chartered Institute for Housing.
- Fitzpatrick, S. & Stephens, M (eds.) (2008) The Future of Social Housing. London: Shelter.
- Busch-Geertsema, V. & Fitzpatrick, S. (2008) ‘Effective homelessness prevention? Explaining reductions in homelessness in Germany and England', European Journal of Homelessness, 2: 69-95
- Pleace, N., Fitzpatrick, S., Johnsen, S., Quilgars, D. & Sanderson, D. (2008) Statutory Homelessness in England: The Experience of Families and 16-17 year olds. London: Communities and Local Government.
- Fitzpatrick, S. & Stephens, M. (2007) An International Review of Homelessness and Social Housing Policy. London: Communities and Local Government.
- Fitzpatrick, S. & Pawson, H. (2007) ‘Welfare safety net or tenure of choice? The dilemma facing social housing policy in England', Housing Studies,22(2): 163-182.
- Fitzpatrick, S. & Christian, J. (2006) ‘Comparing research on homelessness in the United Kingdom and United States: What lessons can be learned?', European Journal of Housing Policy, 6(3): 313-333.
- Fitzpatrick, S. & Jones, A. (2005) ‘Pursuing social justice or social cohesion?: coercion in street homelessness policies in England', Journal of Social Policy, 34(3): 389-406.
- Fitzpatrick, S. (2005) ‘Explaining homelessness: a critical realist perspective', Housing, Theory & Society, 22(1):1-17.
- Fitzpatrick, S. (2000) Young Homeless People. London: Macmillan.
- Suzanne Fitzpatrick completed her PhD on youth homelessness at the University of Glasgow in 1998. She subsequently held a number of posts in the Department of Urban Studies at the University of Glasgow, including ESRC Research Fellow in Housing and Social Exclusion and, latterly, Lecturer in Housing and Social Policy.
- From 2003 to 2010 Suzanne was Joseph Rowntree Professor of Housing Policy and Director of the Centre for Housing Policy at the University of York.
- Suzanne took up her Research Professorship in Housing and Social Policy at Heriot-Watt University in July 2010.
- Suzanne specialises in research on homelessness and housing exclusion, and much of her work has an international comparative dimension.
- Suzanne is Editor of the International Journal of Housing Policy.