Dr John McCarthy
- +44 (0)131 451 8093
William Arrol Building
Spatial planning and urban regeneration, including international comparative approaches, including the following projects:
- tax-based policy mechanisms for urban regeneration (ESRC, involving Universities of Dundee and Ulster)
- use of arts and culture as a means of achieving sustainable regeneration (Carnegie Trust)
- effects of cruise passenger terminal developments in historic port cities (Carnegie Trust)
Books and Chapters
- McCarthy J (2007) Partnership, Collaborative Planning and Urban Regeneration. Ashgate, Aldershot.
- Lloyd G, McCarthy J and Peel, D (2006) ‘The Re-Construction of a Small Scottish City: re-discovering Dundee', in Bell D and Jayne M (eds), Small Cities: Urban Experience Beyond the Metropolis. Routledge, London, pp. 105-120.
- Newlands D, Danson M and McCarthy J (2004) (eds) Divided Scotland: the nature, causes and consequences of economic disparities within Scotland. Ashgate, Aldershot.
- Lloyd MG and McCarthy J (2003) ‘ Dundee: a City Discovering Inclusion and Regeneration', in Couch C, Percy S and Fraser C (eds) Urban Regeneration in Europe. Routledge, London, pp 56-68.
- McCarthy J (2003) ‘Empowerment and Social Exclusion: Urban Policy in Scotland and the USA', in Thornley A and Rydin Y (eds) Planning in a Global Era. Ashgate, Aldershot, pp 327-42.
- Lloyd MG and McCarthy J (2002) ‘Asymmetric devolution, institutional capacity and spatial planning innovation', in Rydin Y and Thornley A (eds) Planning in the UK: agendas for the new millennium. Ashgate, Aldershot, pp 103-118.
Refereed Journal Articles
- McCarthy J (2006) Regeneration of Cultural Quarters: Public Art for Place Image or Place Identity? Journal of Urban Design 11(2), pp 243-262.
- McCarthy J (2006) The Application of Policy for Cultural Use Clustering. European Planning Studies 14(3), pp 397-408.
- McCarthy J (2006) Cultural quarters and regeneration: the case of Wolverhampton. Planning Practice and Research 20(3), pp 297-311.
- McCarthy J (2004) Tourism-related Waterfront Development in Historic Cities: Malta's Cottonera Project. International Planning Studies 9(1), pp 43-64.
- McCarthy J (2005) Promoting Image and Identity in Cultural Quarters: the case of Dundee. Local Economy 20(3), pp 280-293.
- Lloyd MG, Illsley B and McCarthy J (2005) Commercial and Industrial Developments in National Parks in England and Wales: lessons for the Scottish Agenda. Journal of Environmental Policy and Planning 6(3/4), pp 1-16.
- McCarthy J (2004) Spatial Planning, Tourism and Regeneration in Historic Port Cities. DISP 154(3), pp 19-25.
- McCarthy J (2003) The Cruise Industry and Port City Regeneration: the case of Valletta. European Planning Studies 11(3), pp 341-350.
- McCarthy J and Edgar, B (2002) Social Justice, Equity and Housing: a new agenda for Scotland? Sustainable Development 10, pp 163-170.
- Lloyd MG, McCarthy J, McGreal S and Berry J (2003) Business Improvement Districts, Planning and Urban Regeneration. International Planning Studies 8(4), pp 295-321.
- McCarthy J (2003) Regeneration and Community Involvement: the Chicago Empowerment Zone. City 7(1), pp 95-105.
- Lloyd MG, McGreal S, Berry J and McCarthy J (2002) Tax-based Mechanisms in Urban Regeneration: Dublin and Chicago models. Urban Studies 39(10), pp 1819-1831.
- McCarthy J (2002) Entertainment-led Regeneration: the case of Detroit. Cities 19(2), pp 105-111.
- McCarthy J, Lloyd MG and Illsley B (2002) National Parks in Scotland: balancing environment and economy. European Planning Studies 10(5), pp 666-670.
- Fernie K and McCarthy J (2001) Partnership and Community Involvement: institutional morphing in Dundee. Local Economy 16(4), pp 299-311.
- Lloyd MG, McCarthy J and Fernie K (2001) From Cause to Effect? A New Agenda for Urban Regeneration in Scotland. Local Economy 16(3), pp 221-235.
- McCarthy J (2000) Cultural Strategies and Urban Regeneration: the case of Dundee. European Spatial Research and Policy 7(1), pp 23-36.
- McCarthy J and Watt A (2000) Developing Local Entrepreneurialism: Dundee's Business Base Expansion Project. Local Governance 25(3), pp 143-152.
- Lloyd MG and McCarthy J (2000) The Origins and Maturing of the Dundee Partnership. International Journal of Public-Private Partnerships 2(2), pp 197-211.
- Lloyd MG and McCarthy J (2000) The Scottish Parliament, Regulation and Land Use Planning. European Planning Studies 8(2), pp. 251-256.
- Lloyd MG, McGreal S, McCarthy J and Berry J (2004) Cultural Quarters for Urban Regeneration: a comparison of practice in the UK, Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland, Dunfermline.
- Lloyd MG, McGreal S, McCarthy J and Berry J (2002) Fiscal Incentives for Urban Regeneration, Economic and Social Science Research Council, Basingstoke.
- Lloyd MG and McCarthy J (2001) Strategy and Culture in Urban Regeneration in Scotland, Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland, Dunfermline.
- Lloyd MG, Illsley B and McCarthy J (2001) Countryside and Natural Heritage Research Programme Research Findings No. 15: New Industrial and Commercial Facilities in National Park Areas: size, location and design considerations, Scottish Executive, Edinburgh
- 1982: BA Hons Town and Country Planning, University of Manchester;
- 1983: BPl (Bachelor of Planning), University of Manchester;
- 1984-1985: Planning Assistant, Local Plans Team, Great Grimsby District Council.
- 1985-1986: Planner, North Southwark District Plans Team, London Borough of Southwark.
- 1986-1988: Senior Planner, Bermondsey and Rotherhithe Area Team, London Borough of Southwark.
- 1988-1992: Senior Planner, Projects and Regeneration Group, London Borough of Southwark.
- 1992-2000: Lecturer, School of Town and Regional Planning, University of Dundee.
- 2000-2006: Senior Lecturer, School of Town and Regional Planning, University of Dundee.
- 2006-present Reader in Urban Studies, School of the Built Environment, Heriot-Watt University.