Dr Caroline Brown
- +44 (0) 131 451 8224
William Arrol Building
- Sustainable neighbourhoods
- Healthy urban planning
- Active travel (walking, cycling)
- Green space and open space
- Social sustainability
- Planning education – particularly dissertations
- Dempsey, N., G. Bramley, S. Power and C. Brown, 2010, The social dimensions of sustainable development: defining urban social sustainability, Sustainable Development, vol. 18 (forthcoming – published online 2009).
- Brown, C., 2010, ‘Greenspace, obesity and health: evidence and issues’ in: Lake, Alvanides & Townshend (eds.) ‘Obesogenic Environments: complexities, perceptions and objective measures’. Wiley-Blackwell, London.
- Bramley, G., Dempsey, N., Power, S., Brown, C. and Watkins, D., 2009, Social sustainability and urban form: evidence from five British cities, Environment and Planning A, vol. 41 (9), pp. 2125-2142.
- Dempsey, N., C. Brown, S. Raman, S. Pova, M. Jenks, C. Jones & G. Bramley, 2009, ‘Elements of Urban Form’ in: Jenks & Jones (eds.) ‘Dimensions of the Sustainable City’ Springer, London.
- Bramley, G., C. Brown, N. Dempsey, S. Power, D. Watkins, 2009, ‘Social Acceptability’ in: Jenks & Jones (eds.) ‘Dimensions of the Sustainable City’ Springer, London.
- Brown, C & M. Grant, 2007, ‘Natural medicine for planners’ Town & Country Planning special edition: planning for healthy communities (February 2007) pp. 67-68.
- Brown, C. & P. Tomlinson, 2007, ‘Planning and health: working together to promote sustainable communities’ Town & Country Planning special edition: planning for healthy communities (February 2007) pp. 45-46.
- Grant, M. & C. Brown, 2007, ‘Health and Planning: guest editors column’ Town & Country Planning special edition: planning for healthy communities (February 2007) p. 42.
- Brown, C & M. Grant, 2005, ‘Biodiversity & human health: what role for nature in healthy urban planning?’ Built Environment, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 326-338.
- Chartered Town Planner
- RTPI Policy Expert (from April 2011 onwards)
- Editorial Board member for the journal Planning Practice & Research
- Active member of the RTPI environmental planning and protection network and its healthy communities task group
- Research Fellow with more than 10 years experience of research and teaching in the field of town planning and urban studies
- Has worked on projects for the European Commission; the Department of Communities and Local Government; the Scottish Government; the Welsh Assembly Government; the Countryside Agency and the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment.
- Previously worked at Edinburgh Napier University and the University of the West of England, Bristol.
- Currently supervising 5 PhD students:
- Carol McKenzie (Social equity and local services)
- Wan Nurul Rani (Social Sustainability and Urban Form in Malaysia)
- Kathryn Gilchrist (ESRC) (Workplace settings: restorative environments)
- Paul Whybrow (ESRC Case studentship, joint with NHS Lothian), (Physical Activity and Urban Form in UK neighbourhoods)
- Judith Montford (ECR fee waiver studentship) (Residential layout and mental well-being)