Prof. Adebayo Adeloye
- +44 (0)131 451 8236
William Arrol Building
- Understanding of water reservoir storage-yield-performance functions and development and evaluation of new performance criteria for water resources systems
- Investigation of scale (temporal and spatial) effects on water resources systems characteristics and performance
- Development of data-limited generalised water resources planning/assessment tools
- Climate change impacts assessment on water resources and quantification of the uncertainty
- Development of adaptation strategies for coping with water resources assessment
- Development of more robust control curves for more effective operation of water resources systems
- Application of machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI) paradigms to water resources and water quality problems
- Development of software sensors for measuring water quality variables such as the BOD5 in raw and wastewater treatment effluent streams
- Development of AI-based models for the operation, control and fault detection of wastewater treatment plants
- Development of AI-based models for evaporation and evapotranspiration and application in irrigation water scheduling and application
- Integrated water resources management and development of participatory approaches to water resources planning and management
- Mathematical modelling and optimisation of groundwater resources, with emphasis on arid and semi-arid conditions.
- Optimisation of irrigation water application
- Economic value of river flow and other data and application in the design of data collection networks
- Statistical analysis of floods and low flows
- Rainfall-runoff modelling.
- Ojha, CSP, Khobragade, SD & Adeloye, AJ. Estimating air vapour pressure in a semi-arid region using FAO-56 methodology. J. irrigation & drainage, ASCE, 2010, doi:10.1061/(ASCE)IR.1943-4774.0000322.
- Ojha, CSP, Goyal, MK & Adeloye, AJ. Downscaling of Precipitation for Lake Catchment in Arid Region in India using Linear Multiple Regression and Neural Networks. Special issue, The Open Hydrology Journal, vol. 4, 2010.
- Adeloye, AJ & Ojha, CSP (Guest Editors). Analysis of climate change impacts on water resources for developing economies: successes and challenges. Special issue, The Open Hydrology Journal, vol. 4 2010.
- Adeloye, AJ & Ojha, CSP. Editorial- Analysis of climate change impacts on water resources for developing economies: successes and challenges. Special issue, The Open Hydrology Journal, vol. 4, 65-66, 2010
- Adeloye, AJ, Pal, S & O'Neill M. Generalised storage-yield-reliability modelling: Independent validation of the Vogel-Stedinger (V-S) model using a Monte Carlo simulation approach. J. Hydrol., 388 (3 -4), 234-240, 2010
- Adeloye, A. The relative utility of regression and artificial neural networks models for rapidly predicting the capacity of water supply reservoirs . Env. Model. Software, 24(10), 1233-1240, 2009.
- Adeloye, AJ. Multiple Linear Regression and Artificial Neural Networks Models for Generalized Reservoir Storage-Yield-Reliability Function for Reservoir Planning . J. Hyrol. Engrng., ASCE, 14(7), 731-738, 2009.
- Rustum, R, Adeloye, AJ & Scholz, M. Applying Kohonen self-organizing map as a software sensor to predict biochemical oxygen demand . Wat. Env. Res, 80(1), 32-40, 2008
- Shaki, AA & Adeloye, AJ. Mathematical modelling of effects of Irawan irrigation project water abstractions on the Murzuq aquifer systems in Libya. J. Arid env., 71(2), 133-156, 2007.
- Rustum R & Adeloye, AJ. Replacing outliers and missing values from activated sludge data using kohonen self-organizing map. J. Env. Engrng., ASCE, 133(9), 909-916, 2007.
- Nawaz, NR & Adeloye, AJ. Monte Carlo assessment of sampling uncertainty of climate change impacts on water resources yield in Yorkshire, England. Climatic Change, 78(2-4), 257-292, 2006.
- Shaki, AA & Adeloye, AJ. Evaluation of quantity and quality of irrigation water at Gadowa irrigation project in Murzuq basin, southwest Libya. Agric. Wat. Management.,84(1-2), 193-201,2006.
- Adeloye, AJ & De Munari, A. Artificial neural network based generalized storage-yield-reliability models using the Levenberg-Marquardt algorithm. J. Hydrol., 326(1-4), 215-230,2006.
- McMahon, TA, Adeloye, AJ & Zhou, SL. Understanding performance measures of reservoirs. J. Hydrol., 324(1-4), 359-382, 2006.
- McMahon, TA & Adeloye, AJ. “Water Resources Yield”. Manuscript (219 + ix pages). Water Resources Publications LLC (www.wrpllc.com), Colorado, USA, 2005.
- Montaseri, M & Adeloye, AJ. A graphical rule for volumetric evaporation loss correction in reservoir capacity-yield-performance planning in Urmia region, Iran. Wat. Resour. Management., 18(1), 55-74, 2004.
- Adeloye, A, Psarogiannis, A & Montaseri, M. Improved heuristic reservoir operation using control curves incorporating the vulnerability norm. IAHS Pub. No. 281, 192-199, 2003.
- Adeloye, AJ, Lallemand, F & McMahon, TA. Regression models for within-year capacity adjustment in reservoir planning . Hydrol. Sci. J., 48(4), 539-552, 2003.
Dr Bayo Adeloye graduated with BSc (First Class, First Position) degree from the University of Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife), Nigeria in 1977, specialising in irrigation and soil and water engineering. After a stint in consulting practice, he went on to obtain the MSc and PhD degrees at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, specialising in Water Resources engineering and management. In 1987, Dr Adeloye won the prestigious and highly competitive Fellowship of the Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851, a post-doctoral fellowship tenable at the Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London. Dr. Adeloye joined Heriot-Watt University as a lecturer in 1992 and was promoted to a Senior Lecturer in 2004. He is the co-author of “Water Resources Yield”, a postgraduate reference textbook first published in 2005 by Water Resources Publications, Colorado, USA. In addition to being a chartered engineer, and a chartered water and environmental manager, Dr Adeloye is also currently a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Member, Chartered Institution of Water & Environmental Management (MCIWEM)
- Chartered Water & Environmental Manager (CWEM)
- Chartered Engineer, UK; Fellow, UK Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
Leadership and External Recognition
- Chair and organiser, UK-Indo Workshop on "Water Resources Management under Climate and Environmental Change", September 2009.
- Invited guest Editor, Special Issue of the Open Hydrology to be published in 2010
- Invited participant, NERC sponsored Workshop on Changing Water Cycle, New Delhi, India, February 2010.
- Invited Written Contribution, ICE/CIWEM/Royal Academy of Engineering Enquiry on Global Water Security (to be launched 19 April 2010 to which I have been invited)
- Invited Member of expert research proposals review panel, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Invited Member, expert research proposals review panel, NERC-sponsored thematic programme on "Ecosystem Services for Poverty Alleviation", May/June, 2010
- Invited Applicant, Prince Sultan Bin Abdulaziz International Prize for Water, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Invited article, Special Issue of ICE Journal of Urban Design and Planning, ICE, 2010
- Invited External Reviewer, Degree programme in environmental engineering, Dammam University, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for the purpose of approval by the Accreditation Board for Engineering & Technology (ABET), USA
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, the Open Hydrology Journal
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of Applied Sciences