ICIT has well established links with industry. These relationships span all our activities in teaching, research, and consultancy.
Throughout the academic year students will have the opportunity to join a number of field trips as well as listen to industry speakers. Industry speakers often include ICIT alumni who explain how their MSc qualification has helped advance their careers.
The dissertation project is another important opportunity for MSc students to link with industry. A combination of professional contacts and our network of alumni provide a wide variety of opportunities for dissertation projects with external organisations. Every year students are placed with private sector companies and trade organisations, as well as government agencies and NGOs.
We are recognised as world leaders in our field and our work has greatly shaped the development of Orkney's world class marine renewables sector. Our contributions influence and directly impact our local and regionally economy as well as shaping policy internationally.
Our team has developed close working links with government, statutory bodies and industry over many years. We have expertise in a broad range of disciplines and can provide consultancy tailored to the needs of our clients in the following areas:
- marine energy resource assessment
- the modelling of energy flows
- monitoring and sensing aspects of the marine environment
- conflict resolution
- marine spatial planning
- socio-economic impacts and fisheries science
- marine acoustic sound surveys
- the abandonment of offshore oil and gas installations
- decommissioning of pipelines
- waste water management
- health and safety in the marine environment
Our portfolio of clients includes:
- companies in the oil and gas sector
- local government
- government agencies
- environmental agencies
- advisory boards
- non-government agencies
- renewable energy developers.