How to Apply

To apply you should complete and return all required forms by email to, or by post to:

Student Support Team
Edwin Chadwick Building
School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure & Society
Heriot-Watt University
Edinburgh, EH14 4AS
United Kingdom


The format of the course request and exam registration forms has changed. All MSc Petroleum Engineering Distance Learning students are requested to use the lastest versions. The old style format and/or handwritten forms are no longer acceptable.


All registered IPE distance learning students must enrol in every academic year in order to remain registered on their programme.

What is enrolement?

Enrolment involves logging into our online Student Self-Service system to check and update personal details and agree to the University’s terms and conditions.

Enrolment includes the following:

  • Confirmation of personal and statistical information
  • Confirmation of contact details
  • Confirmation of programme details
  • Contact information for enquiries regarding tuition fees
  • Acceptance of University terms and conditions

How to enrol

To enrol online please use Student Self-Service - MyHWU

To log in to the Student Self-Service system you will need your registration number and PIN. If you have forgotten your PIN you can re-set this on the log-in page.

Asking for help

If you require further information or assistance or experience problems with your application or enrolment please contact

Please include your HWU ID number and subject eg. Fees, examinations, vision & etc in the subject line as this helps us to direct your enquiry to the most appropriate person.