Independent Distance Learning (IDL)
As well as campus-based postgraduate study, the School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society offers a wide range of programmes via Independent Distance Learning (IDL). The outcomes of our IDL programmes are identical to those of our on-campus programmes.
As an IDL student you will:
- receive the same qualification as on-campus students;
- study the same courses with course materials made available online;
- have a similar workload to part-time students;
- have access to academic support and student support services;
- have flexibility regarding when and where you study.
Centre of Excellence in Sustainable Building Design
- Architectural Project Management MSc/PGDip
- Building Conservation (Technology and Management) MSc/PGDip
- Building Services Engineering, MSc/Diploma
- Carbon and Energy Management MSc/PGDip
- Construction Project Management MSc/PGDip
- Commercial Management and Quantity Surveying MSc/PGDip
- Sustainable Building Design MSc/PGDip
- Sustainable Urban Management MSc/PGDip
- Urban and Regional Planning MSc/PGDip
Institute for Infrastructure and Environment
- Civil Engineering MSc/PGDip
- Civil Engineering and Construction Management MSc/PGDip
- Safety and Risk Management MSc/PGDip
- Safety, Risk and Reliability Engineering MSc/PGDip
- Structural and Foundation Engineering MSc/PGDip
- Water and Environmental Management MSc/PGDip
- Water Technology and Desalination MSc/PGDip
Institute for Social Policy, Housing, and Equalities Research
- Real Estate and Planning MSc/PGDip
- Real Estate Investment and Finance MSc/PGDip
- Real Estate Management and Development MSc/PGDip
Institute of Petroleum Engineering
International Centre for Island Technology
- Independent Distance Learning (IDL) offers a flexible study option, allowing you to combine your study with work and other commitments. IDL is therefore ideal for those wishing to further their academic qualifications while in full-time employment.
- It also provides you, wherever you are in the world, with the opportunity to work towards a high quality, internationally recognised qualification from one of the UK's foremost universities in the provision of Independent Distance Learning.
- It allows you to study when it best suits you, using online course material all available through Heriot-Watt University's Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
- Studying via Independent Distance Learning doesn't mean you'll be left on your own. Tutors will provide you, by phone or email, with academic support similar to that received by our on-campus students.
- Our friendly Distance Learning Office can help you with any non-academic questions you may have.
- There are two intakes per year; January and September.
All of our IDL programmes have been designed to provide you with the resources you need to successfully complete your studies:
- Our comprehensive study materials are made available through the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
- As an IDL student you will have 24/7 access to Heriot-Watt's Online Library services from which you can access further materials to help you with your studies.
- You will have access to discussion boards which allow you to make contact with your tutors and other students.
The majority of courses are assessed by examination, however some may be a combination of coursework and examination or coursework only. For more information about the assessment procedures, please contact the Programme Leader of your preferred programme.
Exams for distance learning students are usually organised in each student's country of residence through the British Council or other partners. Please note that this is not possible for all countries, but we do endeavour to accommodate everyone we can.
For more information about exams, please contact our Distance Learning team: email@example.com.