Postgraduate research degrees inlcude PhD and EngD, DBA, MRes and MPhil.
Research projects are offered with supervisors who work at the cutting edge of contemporary topics, from the fundamental to the applied, in all of our disciplines.
Projects often involve working in research teams, with industry involvement, and many have collaborations with other leading research laboratories around the world.
First-class training is provided, focusing on the necessary support for career development.
School, Research Institute and Research Centre web pages provide detailed information on research and potential research project opportunities for PhD and EngD studies.
- Postgraduate research - online programme prospectus
- PhD opportunities in Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society
- PhD opportunities in Engineering and Physical Sciences
- PhD opportunities in Mathematical and Computer sciences
- PhD opportunities in Social Sciences
- PhD opportunities in Textiles and Design
- PhD opportunities at our Dubai Campus
Inter-university Centres for Doctoral Training
Heriot-Watt leads or participates in eight inter-university CDTs with funded places available:
- Edinburgh Centre for Robotics
- EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Applied Photonics
- EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Critical Resource Catalysis
- EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Embedded Intelligence
- EPSRC Scottish Doctoral Training Centre in Condensed Matter Physics
- ESRC Scottish Doctoral Training Partnership for Social Sciences
- Maxwell Institute Graduate School in Analysis and its Applications
- NERC Centre for Doctoral Training in Oil and Gas
We offer a number of competitive funded scholarships for research degree studies. Full or partial support may be available for well-qualified candidates from UK research councils, research pools, charities, industry or the university's own scholarships.
The University offers annual James Watt Scholarships, approximately 80 each year, for well-qualified applicants. Other competitive funding is available such as RCUK funded Doctoral Training Awards.