Working with the government agencies relating to policy and public engagement are both vital to the University's mission to create and exchange knowledge for the benefit of society.
Evidence of how Heriot-Watt’s research can effect and improve everyday life can be found in the case studies listed below.
- Access to justice in multilingual societies - Research that has promoted equal access to justice in multilingual societies, guiding changes to policy, practice and training for police officers and legal professionals across Europe.
- Switching young people on to computer science - Stimulating young people's interest in programming and changing the Scottish curriculum.
- Understanding policy impact - Computer programs that enable economists and researchers to analyse the effect of policies that contain complex data.
- Preventing homelessness - A study in proactive, targeting strategies that are being used to prevent homelessness.
- Greater equality for Deaf people - How Heriot-Watt is leading the way in ensuring that Deaf people have equal access to services.