Industry and Innovation
Heriot-Watt has a long tradition of working closely with business and industry.
These relationships can take many forms, from strategic alliances with international companies to small knowledge transfer partnerships with SME's. We encourage innovation and the creation of new spin-out companies.
The examples below illustrate how our world leading research has benefited the economy.
- Colour chemistry for material advantage - Predicting pigment performance based on crystal structure analysis for faster, greener and more cost-effective product development.
- Advancing continuous crystallisation technologies - Overcoming the shortcomings of traditional batch reactors and crystallisers.
- Innovative software boosts oil extraction - A new software tool that is attracting significant interest in the oil industry.
- Keeping ahead of counterfeiters - A leading-edge optics technology for a new polymer banknote.
- Smart software for underwater robots - How Heriot-Watt research accelerated the growth of a spin-out company into the global leader in smart software for UAVs.
- Better brewing - A way for brewers to to make 50% more beer in the same size plant.
- A cutting edge partnership - Research in laser technology that has led to the growth of a market-leading laser manufacturing company.
- Helping manage risk in the insurance industry – A practical solution to issues raised by the Solvency II Directive
- Virtual Images Measure up in 3D – Software that has become vital to one of the world’s retail giants
- Maintaining flow in oil wells - Avoiding blockages without jeopardising production