In 2019, Heriot-Watt University are celebrating and sharing all the amazing research taking place to improve our health and the health of the planet.
From the homes we live in, to the health of the cells in our body, our chemists, biologists, mathematicians, computer scientists, physicists, social scientists and engineers are working together to make life better. For example, we are working on:
- designing eco-houses
- renewable energy research and design - wind, wave, and sun
- building robotics for assisted living for the elderly
- making new and advanced medical equipment
- improving cancer treatments
- investigating how the brain works
- understanding and preventing diseases
We are putting out a call to school children across Scotland to help us design a healthy home, full of gadgets and tools to make your family healthier, and improve the health of the planet we live on.
Our experts will pick winners from two categories: age 7-9, and age 10-12. Both winners will receive a family ticket to a local science centre or zoo, plus a tour of the Robotic assisted living labs at Heriot-Watt University. Winners will be announced in February 2019.
Deadline: 19th January 2019
The small print:
- Open to primary school age children in Scotland
- Must be hand drawn
- Email entries to HWEngage@hw.ac.uk or post to HW Engage, Research Engagement, Scott Russell Building, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS.
You can find out more about some of our research in our 'Research Bites', from eco-bricks for low carbon homes, to artificial intelligence in the home, and reducing carbon emissions for a healthy planet.