Heriot-Watt Engage can offer guidance on public engagement, from the development of proposals and programmes, to delivery and evaluation.
There are a variety of skills that help make public engagement events successful, skills that are also important for research communication in general. Training currently available to Heriot-Watt academics, researchers and students can be found on PDMS.
Various workshops and networking event are also available to Heriot-Watt staff and students through the Beltane network, either free or subsidised.
Heriot-Watt Engage and the Centre for Academic Leadership and Development are always keen to provide new training which is relevant to staff. Please get in touch to discuss further training needs and ideas.
The National Co-ordinating Centre for Public Engagement also has a list of external providers of training.
Heriot-Watt Engage networking sessions are held across the academic year, as short informal sessions where academics and PhD students interested in engaging with external audiences can learn more about, and discuss, specific engagement-related themes. Attendees can bring their own lunch and refreshments are provided. Past sessions include:
- Engaging with Light: Visualising Science through light projections
- Engaging with Policy: Impact through Policy Development
- Engaging Conversations: Using humour to engage with your audience
- Engaging Summer Science: Focusing on the Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition
- Science, not Gender: Showing kids it's all up for grabs
- Engaging Parliament: with colleagues from the Scottish Parliament Information Centre.
- Engaging ArtSci: Exploring Synergies of Arts and Science
- Engaging via Comics: Looking at how Dekko comics use this popular media to inspire and engage
- Evaluating Engagement: How do you measure success and why does it matter?
- Engaging with the Media: The do's and dont's, how it differs from academic writing, and how to best handle media outlets.
- Engaging for REF: How we can be prepared for REF 2021, and the role of public engagement case studies.
For further information on any other past sessions, contact HW Engage.
As well as bespoke training aligned with events, we offer training on specific skills and topics in engaging the public. Previous workshops have focused on evaluation, impact, communication and developing hands-on activities. Get in touch if there is an area you would like to explore.