Dr Dave Ellis
BSc, PhD, MRSC
- +44 (0) 131 451 8038 / 3214
- Room G.20, William Perkin Building, Edinburgh Campus, Heriot-Watt University
Roles and responsibilities
- NMR Unit Manager
- Chemistry Safety Officer
Applications of NMR Spectroscopy.
NMR in the study of polysaccharides generated by microorganism strains in the marine environment.
NMR spectroscopy in the study of molecular dynamics. Diffusion NMR for the investigation of aggregation and polymerisation in solution. Measurements of relaxation in the solid state and their use as a probe to aid understanding of segmental motion in new polymeric materials.
- 'Carborane Substituents Promote Direct Electrophilic Insertion over Reduction-metalation Reactions', W. Y. Man, D. Ellis, G. M. Rosair and A. J. Welch, Angew. Chem.-Int. Edit., 2016, 55, 4596-4599.
- 'Developing nitrosocarborane chemistry', S. L. Powley, L. Schaefer, W. Y. Man, D. Ellis, G. M. Rosair and A. J. Welch, Dalton Trans., 2016, 45, 3635-3647.
- Unprecedented flexibility of the 1,1'-bis(o-carborane) ligand: catalytically-active species stabilised by B-agostic B-H⇀ Ru Interactions', L. E. Riley, A. P. Y. Chan, J. Taylor, W. Y. Man, D. Ellis, G. M. Rosair, A. J. Welch and I. B. Sivaev, Dalton Trans., 2016, 45, 1127-1137.
- 'BODIPY-based conjugated microporous polymers as reusable heterogeneous photosensitisers in a photochemical flow reactor', J. M. Tobin, J. Liu, H. Hayes, M. Demleitner, D. Ellis, V. Arrighi, Z. Xu and F. Vilela, Polym. Chem., 2016, 7, 6662-6670.
BSc in Chemistry at the University of Exeter (1987), PhD in Inorganic Chemistry/NMR at the University of Exeter under the supervision of Eddie Abel and Keith Orrell (1991), Postdoctoral positions at the University of Sussex with Mike Lappert (1991-1992), the University of Glasgow with Louis Farrugia and Bob Peacock (1992-1997), the University of St. Andrews with David Cole-Hamilton (1997-1999) and the University of Nottingham with Martin Schröder (1999-2000).
Moved to Heriot-Watt University in 2000, initially as a Postdoctoral Fellow working with Alan Welch, and since 2010 as NMR Unit Manager.