Semester start dates
There are at least two semester intakes per year for online programmes, in September and January. For a select number of programmes, there is an additional intake in May.
The available intake date(s) will be clearly specified at the top of your programme web page.
The semester start dates for the upcoming year are in the HW Online Student Handbook, and they will be similar to the below, which are for 2023 intake:
- January 2023 (open to all programmes)
- May 2023 (open to selected programmes. Refer to programme web page)
- September 2023 (open to all programmes)
You can apply now for all online postgraduate programmes (except Edinburgh Business School programmes) using our online application form.
You must create an account to use the online application form. You don't have to complete the application in one session; you can save what you have done so far and return to complete it at a later date.
When to apply
There are two intakes for most online programmes each year. For a small number of programmes we also offer a third intake in May (please refer to the course content tab on your specific MSc programme page for clarification). There are deadlines associated with each intake. Dates vary each year, but normally fall close to the below:
- September intake deadline is 15 August
- January intake deadline is 15 November
- May intake deadline is 15 April
Applications received after these dates will still be considered but we cannot guarantee a place for the upcoming intake. Therefore, the offer to study may be made for the following intake.
Please note you usually need to supply the following documents for your application to be considered:
- Two references using the referees' report form
- Copy of degree certificate and transcript
- Curriculum Vitae
- Evidence of English language ability (if English is not your first language and/or not from a recognised English-speaking country)
- Personal statement may be required for some degree programmes
Processing your application
All applications will be carefully considered by appropriate staff in the relevant school and you will receive a response as soon as possible. For some programmes, where the volume of applications is very high, this may be several weeks but for most programmes, you should hear from us within 2 weeks.
The response that you receive from the School will be either:
- an unconditional offer
- a conditional offer (further supporting documentation will be required, such as a copy of your degree certificate if you had not completed your degree when you first submitted your application)
- regretfully, a decision to reject your application.
If you receive an unconditional offer please respond as soon as possible. You will be emailed with enrolment and registration instructions closer to the start date. If you receive a conditional offer, you will be required to meet specific criteria in order to receive an unconditional offer. We recommend that you fulfil any conditions on your offer 8 weeks before the start date.
Responding to an offer
You will be able to view our decision by logging into your application account. If you receive an offer, please respond to it as soon as possible.
Once you have accepted your place you will be sent a confirmation letter, which you can use to obtain funding for your studies and to proceed with enrolment and course registration.
Information about how to enrol will be available about one month prior to the start date.
Useful dates and information
Information relating to significant dates, enrolment, course structure and assessments can be found in the HW Online Student Handbook.