Introduction to Project Management for Research Students
- Edinburgh Campus
This is an intense and compact 1-day course that provides a high level overview of key PM techniques and concepts. It offers an introduction to the process of managing projects and the tools to assist in planning and tracking progress; this course is intended to be immediately applicable to planning and managing academic and research projects as well as commercial projects. It covers the theory and principles of project management within the context of the Project Management Institute.
During this 1-day course, participants will:
• Learn the basics of the project planning process and receive a set of checklists and guidelines that
can be used immediately on any project
• Appreciate the fundamental principles of a well-led and well directed project, such as identifying and
scheduling tasks, activities, milestones and understanding and managing stakeholders
• Be aware of the critical factors that will influence project success
• Use practical, group-based exercises to reinforce and enhance the skills learned
• Create work breakdown structures, network diagrams, critical path analysis, Gantt charts and other
techniques that ensure robust project control.