Introduction to Project Management for staff
- Edinburgh Campus
An introduction to the process of managing projects and the tools to assist in planning and tracking progress; this course is intended to be immediately applicable to planning and managing academic and research projects as well as commercial projects. It covers the theory and principles of project management within the context of the Project Management Institute.
During this 1-day course, participants will:
- Learn the basics of the project planning process and receive a set of checklists and guidelines that you can use immediately on any project.
- Appreciate the fundamental principles of a well-led and well directed project, such as identifying and scheduling tasks, activities, milestones and understanding and managing stakeholders.
- Be aware of the critical factors that will influence whether a project will be successful or not, including identifying and managing risk.
- Use practical, group-based exercises to reinforce and enhance the skills learned.
- Create work breakdown structures, network diagrams, critical path analysis, Gantt charts and other techniques that ensure robust project control.