In December we provided an update on the review of our PDR processes, and a reminder that interim review meetings were to place over January and February.
We are working hard on listening to your feedback from the 2018 Staff Survey, and can confirm the following changes will be made to the PDR process from 2020:
- Annual PDR meetings will take place across all campuses between May and July
- There will be greater focus on the following aspects in your PDR meeting:
- Your successes, achievements and key challenges
- Your learning and development including “Skilled for Success” development programme for professional services colleagues (more information to follow on this)
- Your career ambitions (if you wish)
- Your wellbeing and what support you might need
- Your performance and where you have excelled
- A much simpler approach to performance ratings
- Your contribution to Strategy 2025 and the four refreshed HW values
- Separate PDR Forms to help guide an effective and more specific conversation – one for Academic colleagues and one for Professional Services colleagues. The optional short PDR form for colleagues on Grade 5 and below is also being reviewed.
Training and Support
The refreshed PDR scheme will be launched in early April. Support will include online guides and resources helping you to prepare and get the most out of your PDR meeting as a Reviewee; and for Reviewers – how to create a positive experience for your reviewees. Face-to-face training will also be available for Reviewers from late April focusing on skills development; dates and further details will be issued in the next month.
Aims and Benefits of the refreshed PDR
- To have an Effective and Useful two-way conversation
- That everyone has a PDR meeting, wants one and feels it is worthwhile (for UK campuses the average 2019 recorded completion rate was only 59%)
- Greater focus on skills training for Reviewers
- Greater focus on your own personal development as a Reviewee and what development you need in your role and future career ambitions
- Ensuring your objectives are aligned to Strategy 2025 and the four HW values – Inspire – Collaborate – Belong - Celebrate
- Global approach with some local variations