Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Campus
+603 8894 3888
Electrical and electronic engineering play a significant role in modern society. From the electricity that powers our lives to the mobile phones that enable communication and provide entertainment, the technologies around us inspire wonder. Highly trained engineers are needed to specify and design such systems and devise electronic engineering solutions for future challenges – such as electric transportation, renewable energy generation, robot systems and medical diagnostics. A Bachelor of Engineering degree can provide access to exciting global opportunities.
MEng Electrical Engineering
BEng students who meet the progression requirements for the MEng programme may transfer programmes at the end of the second year.
Teaching and assessment
Teaching methods range from lectures, tutorial classes and mentor sessions, to work-shop and laboratory activities supported by group and individual projects. Assessment is by examination, coursework, presentations, group project and individual project, the balance being appropriate to the different teaching methods used in the courses.
This programme is accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA). Our degrees
are offered as 3 year BEng (Bachelor of Engineering) or 4 year MEng (Master of Engineering) qualifications. Our MEng qualification is designed to satisfy the academic requirements set by the Engineering Council UK for registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng). It is also currently under review for full accreditation by the Engineering Accreditation Council Malaysia (EAC).
Chartered Engineers enjoy excellent prospects, enhanced employability and high salaries. If you prefer to graduate with a BEng after 3 years of study your degree will provide partial fulfilment of the necessary academic requirements for Chartered Engineer Status.
For registration by the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) the four year undergraduate MEng programme is required plus a summer industrial placement.
View or download full details of core, optional and elective courses/projects.
- Circuits and Analysis
- Digital design and programming
- Mathematics for engineers and scientists 3
- Business awareness, Safety and Sustainability
- Mathematics for Engineers and Scientist 4
- Electromechanical Systems
- Signals and Systems
- Computer Architecture and Embedded Systems
- Physical Electronics and Semiconductors
- System Projects
- Engineering Mathematics and Statistics 3
- Time and Frequency Signal Analysis
- Analogue Electronics
- Electrical Energy Systems
BEng students do core individual projects plus three optional courses in semester 1 and two in semester 2. MEng students do core group projects plus two optional courses in each semester. MEng students undertake a compulsory industrial training placement.
- BEng Project 1
- BEng Project 2
- plus optional courses in semester 1
The BEng degree provides a broad education as well as an appropriate measure of specialisation in Advanced Electronic, Electrical and Computer Systems. Graduates enjoy excellent employment prospects throughout industry, financial organisations, government and the professions and are well qualified to join research teams.
- Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Foundation in Science: CCCC
- A-Level/STPM:BBC including B in Mathematics and Physics.
- SAM: ATAR 75 including B in Mathematics and Physics.
- CPU: 75% including B in Mathematics and Physics.
- UEC: 3A 2B (A in Mathematics and Physics).
- SMA 3: 8.0 in Mathematics and Physics.
- IB Diploma: Minimum 5 in SL Mathematics and Physics.
- Diploma recognised by the Malaysian Government, acceptable to the University.
- Any other relevant qualification recognised by the Malaysian Government, acceptable to the University.
- The subjects studied must include Mathematics and Physics.
English language requirements
If English is not your first language, then evidence of proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0 is required.
If you do not have IELTS 6.0, we offer a Pre-Sessional English Programme (PSEP) prior to commencing your studies.