MEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Programme code
- KPT/JPS (R/523/6/0265) (MQA/FA6194) 08/25
- Delivery type
- 4 years
- Intake date
We have an international research reputation and close connection with the professional and industrial world of science, engineering and technology.
Electrical and electronic engineering play a significant role in modern society. From the electricity that powers our lives to the mobile phones that enable communication and provide entertainment, the technologies around us inspire wonder. Highly trained engineers are needed to specify and design such systems and devise electronic engineering solutions for future challenges – such as electric transportation, renewable energy generation, robot systems and medical diagnostics. A Bachelor of Engineering degree can provide access to exciting global opportunities.
MEng/BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering progression
All students by default will be enrolled into the MEng programme at the point of entry. This is done for the applicant’s eligibility for PTPTN’s study loan, as well as for recognition by the Board of Engineers Malaysia. You may choose to opt out of the MEng programme, and proceed to a BEng programme during your Second Year.
Teaching and Assessment
Teaching methods range from lectures, tutorial classes and mentor sessions, to workshop and laboratory activities supported by group and individual projects. Assessment is by examination, coursework, presentations, group project andindividual project, the balance being appropriate to the different teaching methods used in the courses.
This programme is accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA). Our degrees are offered as 3 year BEng (Bachelor of Engineering) or 4 year MEng (Master of Engineering) qualifications. Our MEng qualification is designed to satisfy the academic requirements set by the Engineering Council UK for registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng) status.
Chartered Engineers enjoy excellent prospects, enhanced employability and high salaries. If you prefer to graduate with a BEng after 3 years of study your degree will provide partial fulfilment of the necessary academic requirements for Chartered Engineer Status.
For registration by the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM), the MEng programme is required plus a minimum of 10 weeks industrial placement.
BEng and MEng
- Circuits and Analysis
- Digital design and programming
- Mathematics for engineers and scientists 3
- Business awareness, safety and sustainability
- Mathematics for Engineers and Scientist 4
- Intro Electricity and Magnetism
- Electrical Power and Machines
- Computer Architecture and Embedded Systems
All students by default will be enrolled into the MEng programme at the point of entry. This is done for the applicant’s eligibility for PTPTN’s study loan, as well as for recognition by the Board of Engineers Malaysia. You may choose to opt out of the MEng programme, and proceed to a BEng programme during your 2nd Year.
BEng and MEng
- Semiconductor Electronics
- System Project
- Engineering Mathematics and Statistics
- Time and Frequency Signal Analysis
- Signals and Systems
- Electrical Energy Systems
- BEng Project 1
- BEng Project 2
Plus three optional courses in Semester 1 and two optional courses in Semester 2
- MEng Group Project 1
- Professional and Industrial Studies
- MEng Group Project 2
- Plus two optional courses in Semester 1 and two optional courses in Semester 2
Students undertake a compulsory industrial training placement after completing Year 3.
MEng students do Project 1, Project 2, plus six optional courses
The Electrical and Electronic Engineering MEng degree provides a broad education as well as an appropriate measure of specialisation in Advanced Electronic, Electrical and Computer Systems. Graduates enjoy excellent employment prospects throughout industry, financial organisations, government and the professions and are well qualified to join research teams.
- Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Foundation in Science: CCCC
- A-Level/STPM:BBC including B in Mathematics and Physics.
- WACE/SACE: ATAR 75 including B in Mathematics and Physics.
- CPU: 75% including B in Mathematics and Physics.
- UEC: 15 points or less including A in Mathematics and Physics (5 subjects not less than B grade)
- SMA 3: 8.0 in Mathematics and Physics.
- IB Diploma: Minimum 5 in SL Mathematics and Physics.
- Diploma recognised by the Malaysian Government, acceptable to the University.
- Any other relevant qualification recognised by the Malaysian Government.
- The subjects studied must include Mathematics and Physics.
English language requirements
If English is not your first language, then evidence of proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0 is required.
If you do not have IELTS 6.0, we offer a Pre-Sessional English Programme (PSEP) prior to commencing your studies.