- Course code
- KPT/JPS (N/526/6/0108)(PA6195) 08/20
- Delivery type
- 4 years
- Intake date
We have an international research reputation and close connection with the professional and industrial world of science, engineering and technology.
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Campus
+603 8894 3888
The programme covers the main civil engineering disciplines of Structures, Geotechnics, Water Engineering, and Highway Engineering, and provides students with the key skills and knowledge required to become chartered civil or structural engineers.
After graduation, students are equipped to work for engineering consultants, contractors or government at management level. The core curriculum includes instruction in all main subject areas, concentrating on analysis and materials behaviour, with increasing focus on design and management in the specialisation years. Throughout, there is an emphasis on the personal development of students within a professional environment.
MEng Civil Engineering progression
BEng students who meet the progression requirements for the MEng programme may transfer programmes at the end of Year 2.
Teaching and assessment
Teaching involves a mix of lectures, tutorials and practical work. Assessment is by a combination of coursework and examination. By the final year, coursework assessment, principally through the design project and research dissertations, accounts for approximately 50% of the final assessment.
This programme is accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA). In addition to recognition in Malaysia, we seek accreditation by UK and international professional bodies in accordance with their standard procedures.
Our degrees are offered as 3 year BEng (Bachelor of Engineering) or 4 year MEng (Master of Engineering) qualifications. This programme is fully accredited by the Joint Board of Moderators (JBM) from the UK, who represent The Institution of Civil Engineers, the Institution of Structural Engineers, the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation, and the Institute of Highway Engineers.
The programme is also currently under review for full accreditation by the Engineering Accreditation Council Malaysia (EAC). For registration by the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) the four year undergraduate MEng programme is required plus a summer industrial placement.
View or download full details of core, optional and elective courses/projects.
Courses from first to third year are common for both
- Analysis of Determinate Structures
- Hydraulics and Hydrology A
- Surveying and Monitoring in the Built and Natural Environment
- Mathematics for Engineers & Scientists 3
- Civil Engineering Materials
- Stress Analysis and Element Strength
- Design Studies A - Problem Solving
- Statistics for Science
- Design of Steel Elements
- Transportation Engineering A
- Indeterminate Structures
- Geology and Soil Properties
- Hydraulics and Hydrology B
- Geotechnics A - Intro to Soil
- Design of Concrete Elements
- Environmental Engineering A
BEng students who meet the progression requirements for the MEng course may transfer courses at the end of Year 2.
- Civil Engineering Dissertation
- Geotechnics B - Soil Strength
- Civil Engineering Design Project
- Foundation Engineering
- Industrial Training
Plus 3 optional courses related to structural design, structural engineering, transportation engineering, ground engineering and mangement.
MEng students undertake a compulsory industrial training placement.
- Civil Engineering Professional Design Project
Our graduates have excellent employment prospects. They design and oversee construction projects such as urban drainage systems, roads, bridges, buildings and airports. All civil and structural engineering courses are supported by the civil engineering industry advisory committee, which includes representatives from major multi-national employers offering advice, guidance and work placement opportunities.
- Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Foundation in Science: CCCC
- A-Level/STPM: BBC including B in Mathematics and Physics
- SAM: ATAR 75 including B in Mathematics and Physics
- CPU: 75% including B in Mathematics and Physics
- UEC: 3A 2B (A in Mathematics and Physics)
- SMA 3: 8.0 in Mathematics and Physics
- IB Diploma: Minimum 5 in SL Mathematics and Physics
- Diploma deemed recognised by the Malaysian Government
- Any other relevant qualification deemed recognised by the Malaysian Government, acceptable to the University.
English language requirements
If English is not your first language, then evidence of proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0 is required.
If you do not have IELTS 6.0, we offer a Pre-Sessional English Programme (PSEP) prior to commencing your studies.