Roles and responsibilities
Dr. Zuhrah Beevi is Assistant Professor with the School of Social Sciences. She has 15 years of teaching and administrative experiences in Psychology, Medical, and Health Sciences fields. Currently, she is teaching Psychology at the School of Social Sciences. The examples of the courses that she is teaching are Cognitive Psychology, Psychobiology, and Cognition across the Lifespan. Dr. Zuhrah Beevi is one of the thesis supervisors for both undergraduate and postgraduate programme in Psychology. She is representing the School of Social Sciences in the Heriot-Watt Employee Welfare Committee.
Dr. Zuhrah Beevi’s research interests are in the field of hypnosis, particularly the research on the effectiveness of hypnosis for pregnant women and women with metastatic breast cancer. Her other research interests include depression and positive psychology.
Dr. Zuhrah Beevi has received a government grant to conduct research and has published in international journals, such as:
- Beevi, Z., Low, W.Y., & Hassan, J. The effectiveness of hypnosis intervention for labor. American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis (In Press).
- Beevi, Z., Low, W.Y., & Hassan, J. (2016). The efficacy of hypnosis intervention in alleviation the psychological and physical symptoms during pregnancy. American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis, 58(4), 368-382.
- Nurajirah, A.M., Coumaravelou, S., & Beevi, Z. (2016). The prevalence and inter-relationship of negative body image perception, depression, susceptibility to eating disorders among female medical undergraduate students. Journal of Clinical & Diagnostic Research, 10(3), VC01–VC04.
- Beevi, Z., Low, W.Y., & Hassan, J. (2015). Successful treatment of ptyalism gravidarum with concomitant hyperemesis using hypnosis. American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis, 58(2), 215-223.
- Lukman, H., Beevi, Z., & Yeap, R. (2009). Training future doctors to be patient-centred: Efficacy of a Communication Skills Training (CST) programme in a Malaysian medical institution. Malaysian Medical Journal, 64 (1), 51–55.
Dr. Zuhrah Beevi received her PhD in Health Psychology from University of Malaya. The Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology and Master’s Degree in Counselling and Clinical Psychology were conferred by the International Islamic University Malaysia. Dr. Zuhrah Beevi has a Diploma in Clinical Hypnosis and currently completing an Advanced Practitioner Diploma in Clinical Hypnosis. She is also a Licensed Master Practitioner of Neuro-Linguistic Programming. Her expertise in Clinical Hypnosis is used in her PhD research, looking into the effectiveness of hypnosis intervention during pregnancy, labour and postpartum, resulting in the first such study being conducted in Malaysia. She is the professional members of the American Psychological Association, Malaysian Psychological Association, British Society of Clinical Hypnosis, Malaysian Society of Clinical Hypnosis, and The Society of Neuro-Linguistic Programming.
Dr. Zuhrah Beevi has a vast experience in treating various conditions, both psychological and medical using hypnosis and NLP as mode of treatments. She has also conducted various workshops on hypnosis in relation to stress management and pregnancy related conditions.