BSc (Hons) Psychology
- Delivery type
- 4 years (full-time)
- Intake date
- September, January
Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4 571 7000
The Psychology BSc (Hons) is suitable for students with a science or commerce background who are interested in the systematic study of cognition, mind and behaviour. Students may wish to take this knowledge into a career in industry or complete further training to become a professional psychologist.
Why study Psychology at Heriot-Watt University's Dubai Campus?
- Heriot-Watt psychology programmes have been ranked as one of the leading programmes in the UK.
- Heriot-Watt takes an applied focus, going beyond textbook and theory to explore real-world uses of psychology.
- Psychology graduates have sought after transferable skills in writing, research and critical evaluation.
- Honours graduates have career opportunities in psychology and business professions and are eligible for a broad range of postgraduate training programmes internationally that are relevant to psychology.
January intake is applicable for Year 1 students only.
Read more about the UAE Federal Accreditation.
The course allowed me to get a detailed insight into experimental and clinical psychology. It allowed me to obtain a more holistic understanding of the field, helping me make a more informed decision on the area of specialty I would go on to focus on in my graduate studies.
This programme includes courses in psychological science, both theoretical and research based. In years 1-3 this is complemented by a small number of electives taken from the management programmes to broaden the learning experience. The curriculum is based on that recommended by the British Psychological Society.
Students are introduced to psychology from a range of perspectives and begin their studies in research methods, which will continue throughout the programme. Students are also introduced to the specific academic skills required to study and think about psychological contexts.
Psychology courses cover Social Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Developmental Psychology, and Intelligence alongside more advanced Statistics and Research Design. Students also choose 2 electives in related management subjects, either human resources or marketing.
Psychology courses cover Social Cognition, Personality, Lifespan Development, Health and Forensic Psychology, and Biological Psychology. These courses take an applied approach, including the discussion of relationships, health and environmental design. Students also take 2 electives in management.
Advanced psychology courses continue the applied focus in a range of areas based on faculty expertise. Currently, this includes topics on consciousness, neuroscience, industrial psychology and psychopathology. In addition, each student undertakes a major independent project. This involves research design, data collection and analysis, and is a chance to learn in depth about a topic of the student’s own choosing.
Honours graduates have a wide range of career opportunities in both psychology and business professions and are eligible for a broad range of postgraduate training prorgrammes relevant to psychology internationally. Heriot-Watt Psychology has a highly active extra-curricular psychology programme to enhance students experience and involvement in the field.
Graduates of this Honours programme (4 years) will be well prepared for many areas of employment, including business management, human resource management, marketing and market research, teaching, counselling and coaching. Students wishing to continue into licensed psychology professions (such as clinical, forensic, health or educational psychology) will be eligible for the relevant postgraduate training at Heriot-Watt and at other UK institutions or internationally implement and maintain secure infrastructures.
Our normal entry criteria are listed below. However, please note that the final decision remains at the discretion of the course director after evaluating scores of individual relevant subjects.
Students who are eligible to be admitted directly into second year can choose to join the first year, where available. Similarly, students who are eligible to be admitted into the Advanced DEP programme can choose to join the DEP programme instead.
First year entry
- GCE A-Level - CCD (or BBBB at AS Level)
- CBSE/Other Indian Boards – 70%
- American High School Diploma/SABIS - 70% + SAT I – 1000 (500 English + 500 Math)
- Tawjihiyya - 80% or Elite/Advance - 75% + EmSAT (English 1400 and Math 700)
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme - 24 points (3 HL and 3 SL)
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma - MMM
- African WAEC/NECO/WASSCE - B2
- FBISE or grade 12 equivalent - 75%
- Russian/Kazakhstan (Attestat) - Grades of 5 in every subject + IELTS 6.0
- French Baccalaureate - 13/20 + IELTS 6.0
- Lebanese Baccalaureate - 80% or 13/20 + IELTS 6.0
- Foundation year -Successful completion of HWU Entry Programme (Management/Psychology) with BBBB
- Compulsory subjects to include English.
Second year entry
- GCE A-Level - CCC
- CBSE/Other Indian Boards - 80%
- American High School Diploma/SABIS -70% + 3 AP at grade 4 or Minimum 3 SAT 2s Subjects 500 each, in relevant subjects.
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme - 27 points (3 HL – including Psychology and 3 SL)
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma - DDD
- Higher National Diploma (HND) - PPP
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Compulsory subjects to include English & Psychology.
To find out more about the entry requirements for this programme, please send an email to email@example.com
English language requirements
As our degrees are taught and assessed in English, applicants must be able to prove their level of English language ability. To know more, please refer to our English language requirements.
Fees and funding
- AED 66142 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.