MA (Hons) Finance
Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4 571 7000
The MA in Finance is focused on graduate employability in the financial sector in its broadest sense. The course is a specialist degree responding to the rapid growth in global financial services. It is particularly suited to those seeking entry into the banking or investment management sectors, both nationally and internationally, covering a range of relevant specialist topics in finance.
While studying this degree, students will have the opportunity to enhance their employability skills through the use of Heriot-Watt's state-of-the-art Bloomberg Terminal situated in the Enterprise Floor of the Dubai campus which also consists of a live-trading room and a business incubation facility that provides students with hands-on practical learning experience.
Heriot-Watt University is accredited as a Bloomberg Experiential Learning Partner, recognising us as a leader in experiential learning in the area of finance.
This programme is affiliated with the Chartered Financial Analyst Institute. This gold star recognition implies that students who pursue this programme with Heriot-Watt University Dubai will cover all the courses in their degree pathways to successfully complete the CFA Level 1 examination.
MA Finance students of the programme will have an opportunity to earn the International Certification in Wealth & Investment Management (ICWIM) offered by the Chartered Institute of Securities & Investments (CISI, UK). The ICWIM programme is mandated by most of the capital-market regulators in the GCC with excellent opportunities for qualified students to seek internship opportunities whilst transiting from year 3 to 4.
This is specific to Dubai and would go well to attract students with its potential towards internship opportunities.
- Management in a Global Context
- Introduction to Accounting and Finance
- Introduction to Economics
- Introduction to Marketing
- Academic Skills
- Becoming a Professional
- Discovering Business
- Introduction to Finance
- Personal Finance and Investment Ethics
- Introduction to Economics OR Elective
- Managing a Global Context OR Elective
- Financial Markets Theory
- Quantitative Methods
- Option (Year 2)
- Management Accountancy in Organisations OR Elective
- Corporate Finance Theory
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Financial Technology
- Option (Year 3)
- Financial Derivatives or Managing Corporate Value
- Research in Finance
- Business Research Methods
- Option (Year 3)
- Choose 2 from: Agency Theory and Corporate Governance OR Risk Management and Derivatives OR International Bonds and Currency Markets
- Option (Year 4 Accountancy, Finance or Economics
- Contemporary Issues in Finance
- Equity Markets & Funds Management
- Option (Year 4 Accountancy, Finance or Economics)
Across both semesters
- Finance Dissertation
Work and study
This is what our MA (Hons) Finance students are doing 15 months after graduating:
- 78% are working
- 4% are studying
- 11% are working and studying.
In highly skilled work
- 85% of those are in highly skilled work 15 months after graduating.
Students pursuing the MA (Hons) Finance programme at the Edinburgh Business School, Dubai will have significant competitive advantage in the job market with opportunities across the Finance industry including and not limited to Banking, Investments, Wealth & Asset Management, Financial Consulting and Equity Research.
These are the most common jobs students go into 15 months after graduating:
- Business and public service associate professionals
- Business, research and administrative professionals
- Managers, directors and senior officials
Our normal entry criteria are listed below. However, please note that the final decision remains at the discretion of the course director after evaluating scores of individual relevant subjects.
Students who are eligible to be admitted directly into second year can choose to join the first year, where available. Similarly, students who are eligible to be admitted into the Advanced DEP programme can choose to join the DEP programme instead.
Year 1 entry
- GCE A-Level CCD (or BBBB at AS-Level)
- CBSE or equivalent 65%
- American High School Diploma + SAT 1s - 1000
- UAE Tawjihiyya 80%
- International Baccalaureate 24 points
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma MMM
- Foundation year Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme (Management) with a BBBB.
- African WAEC / NECO / WASSCE B2 including English and Maths
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent – 70%
- Curriculum Russian/Kazakhstan (Attestat) with minimum grade of 5 + IELTS 6.0
- EmSAT minimum 1400 English and 1200 Maths
Year 2 entry
- GCE A-Level CCC in relevant business subjects
- International Baccalaureate 24 points
- CBSE 75%
- American High School 70% + 3 AP at grade 4 OR Minimum 3 SAT 2’s 500 each
- Higher National Diploma (HND) PPP
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma DDD
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent – 85%
- Students with an HND, an OND Upper Credit or have completed first year at a Nigerian University with strong grades, will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, please send an email to email@example.com
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction at secondary school, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0 Academic (with no element below 5.5).
Fees and funding
- AED 58800 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.