BA (Hons) Fashion
Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4 571 7000
Explore the world of fashion and have access to fully equipped clothing workshops, spacious studios with individual workspaces, technical workshops, laboratories, state-of-the-art production equipment and first-class Computer Aided Design (CAD) suites. Everything you could possibly need to develop your skills and explore your love of fashion.
This programme covers a range of market sectors ranging from high-street fashion to ready-to-wear across both UK and Global perspectives. Facing internal and external projects will help shape your understanding of the fashion industry worldwide. These skills can ultimately open the door to incredible career opportunities in your chosen marketplace.
We are aware that the fashion industry is moving towards a sustainable, ethical and diverse future. Our briefs and projects respond to this change and present a true reflection of the many challenges being faced in the industry today.. We work with many local and national industries to help ensure our students have a “live” experience alongside contemporary design.
The programme has been discontinued as from September 2020 but is still being taught to Year 3 and Year 4.
Why study Fashion Design at Heriot-Watt University's Dubai Campus?
- Strong links and support from a variety of industrial partners both in Dubai and within our global network.
- Practical based programme with a strong emphasis on academic standards and ‘live’ collaborations.
- Unique British fashion education where students are involved in the global design process and techniques.
- Praised highly for considerable active press and media coverage received since launching in Dubai.
- The School of Textiles and Design in Scotland came 1st in the UK for industry and society ‘impact,' scoring 100% in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework.
The Dubai Campus is accredited by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and fully licensed to teach its degrees in Dubai. All graduates receive a British degree that is accredited by Royal Charter in the UK.
Work on cross-disciplinary projects and fashion industry collaborations through a combination of independent study, team working and external projects. Students will also have opportunities to work across events and brand promotion — this external activity boosts your industry awareness and gives you first-hand knowledge that allows you to contextualize your work against the global fashion landscape.
Consolidate your skills and explore your individuality through the initiation, development and completion of a contemporary fashion-led collection accompanied by a strong fashion design portfolio that really showcases your talent to employers.
Upon graduation, students pursue a range of careers and roles within the fashion industry and its related areas of design, including:
- fashion design
- production and assembly
- pattern drafting
- product development
- trend and colour analysis
- quality and technical assurance
- pattern grading
- fashion illustrator.
Our normal entry criteria are listed below. However, please note that the final decision remains at the discretion of the course director after evaluating scores of individual relevant subjects.
- Successful completion of 2 years of a recognized degree programme in related field with a strong portfolio of work. Please contact the Recruitment and Admissions Office to discuss further.
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, kindly call +971 4 4358700 or please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction at secondary school, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0 Academic (with no element below 5.5).
Fees and funding
- AED 65100 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Additional studio fees
Studio fees of 682.50 AED per academic year apply for all years of study. The fee contributes towards the cost of drafting paper and card as well as muslin and thread used for prototype garments. The fee does not cover the cost of printing, sketchbooks, fabric for final garments, production equipment, art supplies or other materials.
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.