Detailed course guide
A broad common first year for all Fashion students, which provides a strong skills base for the fashion industry. As well as studying the specific pathways, students will undertake Creative and Contemporary Studies to put their work in context. Subject areas include: Marketing and Retailing, Fashion Communication, Consumer Behaviour, Textiles, Contemporary and Contextual Studies, Fashion Advertising and PR, CAD and Presentation Skills, and Production and Assembly Knowledge.
Students explore current ideas, issues and innovations related to fashion design and acquire further knowledge and skills in their field. Fashion students engage in a higher level of learning in production and assembly as well as design at this stage. Presentation skills are enhanced with the use of CAD and the exploration of various media and website development via Digital Application. A greater understanding of market and consumer is delivered alongside core trends analysis. Students develop higher-level skills via courses in Pattern Experimentation, Knitwear and Tailoring.
Focuses on students’ development of mini collections and a portfolio. A further emphasis on contextualisation of fashion design practice is required at this level to help prepare students for a career in the fashion industry. Courses include Design Process and Research, Portfolio Building and advanced Pattern Drafting.
Available at Heriot-Watt University in the UK.
Our normal entry criteria are listed below. However, please note that the final decision remains at the discretion of the course director after evaluating scores of individual relevant subjects.
Students who are eligible to be admitted directly into second year can choose to join the first year, where available.
First year entry
- GCE A-Level CCD (or BBBB at AS-Level)
- CBSE or equivalent 65%
- American High School Diploma + SAT1s - 1000.
- UAE Tawjihiyya 80%
- International Baccalaureate 24 points or above.
- African WAEC / NECO / WASSCE B2s
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma MMM
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent 70%
- Curriculum Russian/Kazakhstan (Attestat) with minimum grade of 5 + IELTS 6.0
- Foundation year Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme (Design Studies) with a BBBB. Degree Entry Programme (Management / Psychology) will also be considered.
- A mix of A-Levels and AS-Levels are accepted as long as there are no duplicate subjects in each of the levels
Second year entry
- Successful completion of first year of a recognized degree programme in related field with a strong portfolio of work. Please contact the Recruitment and Admissions Office to discuss further.
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, kindly call +971 4 4358700 or please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction at secondary school, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0 Academic (with no element below 5.5).
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Additional studio fees
Studio fees of 682.50 AED per academic year apply for all years of study. The fee contributes towards the cost of drafting paper and card as well as muslin and thread used for prototype garments. The fee does not cover the cost of printing, sketchbooks, fabric for final garments, production equipment, art supplies or other materials.
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.