BSc (Hons) Data Sciences
Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4 571 7000
Data science is the core of the modern data analytics and engineering revolution, turning data into intelligence and information for decision-making and for solving complex, multi-faceted problems. It is a young discipline, and demand for expertise in all aspects of data science is growing very quickly. Because of this strong global demand, the role of data scientist is frequently ranked as the most promising career and consistently tops the best jobs rankings, with professionals in the field reporting high demand, high salaries and high job satisfaction.
The BSc in Data Sciences programme is based on a strong mathematical and statistical foundation and emphasises large-scale data computation using the most relevant and up-to-date programming languages. Depending on their interests, graduates may find employment in the areas of business, finance, government, science, transportation, forensics, energy, the environment or academic research.
The first three years of the programme are designed to provide the necessary core skills and knowledge in mathematics, computer sciences, probability, statistics, machine-learning and artificial intelligence. The fourth year offers the option to focus on advanced machine-learning, statistical algorithms and applications, data engineering, mathematical aspects of data structures or applications to artificial intelligence.
We pride ourselves in providing students with useful skills both computational and mathematical that can be used to find interesting information in large datasets either statically or dynamically in real time. These skills can be used to find lucrative and interesting jobs in industry and commerce.
Links with industry
We have very strong links with external organisations and industry, with representatives of more than 30 companies and organisations attending our industrial advisory board. Much of our research is in collaboration with leading computing enterprises and students really value our research-led teaching by our enthusiastic staff.
Student Lead Technology Club
Our Student Lead Technology Club is an initiative to support students in using technology (either hardware, data or software) to explore the usage of and code development for new platforms, as part of a taught course or as a personal project.
Mandatory courses: Calculus A, Praxis, Software Development 1
Optional courses: Logic and Proof, Intro to Statistical Science A
Mandatory courses: Calculus B, Discrete Mathematics, Software Development 2, Intro to Statistical Science B
Mandatory courses: Calculus and Real Analysis A, Linear Algebra, Probability and Statistics A, Introduction to Data Structure and Algorithms
Mandatory courses: Data Structures and Algorithms, Database Management Systems, Probability and Statistics B, Numerical Analysis A
Mandatory courses: Statistical Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence and Intel Agent, Software Engineering, Advanced Statistical Methods
Mandatory courses: Professional Development, Bayesian Inference and Comp Maths, Data Visualisation Analytics, Statistical Models B
Mandatory courses: Optimisation, Data Engineering Pipelines, Dissertation A
Optional courses: Industrial Programming, Statistical Computing, Stochastic Processes
Mandatory courses: Big Data Management, Advanced Machine Learning, Dissertation B
Optional courses: Data Visualisation Analytics, Applied Text Analytics, Time series
Our entry criteria are listed below. However, please note that the final decision remains at the discretion of the course director after evaluating scores of individual relevant subjects.
Students who are eligible to be admitted directly into second year can choose to join the first year, where available.
First year entry
- GCE A-Level - BCC (or AABB at AS-Level) including Mathematics.
- CBSE - 65% with grade 12 mathematics greater than 65% with grade 12 maths greater than 65%
- American High School Diploma - 70% + SAT 1s - 1000 (500 English and 600 Math)
- Tawjihiyya - 85% or Elite/Advance - 80 % + EmSAT (English 1400 and 1200 Maths)
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme - 26 points (3 HL – including Maths (HL5), and 3 SL)
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma - MMM
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent - 70%
- Russian/Kazakhstan (Attestat) - Grades of 5 in every subject + IELTS 6.0
- French Baccalaureate - 14/20 + IELTS 6.0
- Lebanese Baccalaureate - 85% or 14/20 + IELTS 6.0
- Foundation year - Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme (Engineering) with a CCCC.
- Compulsory subjects to include English and Mathematics.
Second year entry (September Intake Only)
- GCE A-Levels - ABC, including Mathematics and Computer Science
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme - 28 points (3 HL – including Maths (HL6) and Computer Science, and 3 SL)
- CBSE/Other Indian Boards - Overall 85%, including 85% in Maths and Computer Science
- American High School/SABIS -70% + 3 AP at grade 4 (Including Maths and Computer Science) OR Minimum 3 SAT 2's 500 each (Including Maths and Computer Science)
- Higher National Diploma (HND) - PPP
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma - DDD
- FBISE Grade 12 or equivalent - 85% with 85% in Math and Computer Science
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Compulsory subjects to include Mathematics, Computer Science and English.
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
English language requirements
As our degrees are taught and assessed in English, applicants must be able to prove their level of English language ability. To know more, please refer to our English language requirements.
Fees and funding
- AED 70412 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.