BSc (Hons) Computer Systems (Computer Games Programming)
- Delivery type
- 4 years (full-time)
- Intake date
Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4 571 7000
Our four-year BSc Computer Systems (Computer Games Programming) Honours degree is oriented to constructing robust and useable computer games. We aim to teach people not only how to deploy cutting edge games, but also help them to develop other professional skills that will enable them to communicate clearly, work independently and cooperate effectively. In the gaming industry, where business transactions are underpinned by technology, workplaces need individuals who can create effective systems. Our graduates will move into the games development industry armed with a blend of interpersonal and technical skills that will meet current needs and the needs of the organisations of the future.
The first three years of this programme and the BSc Computer Systems programme are identical, as students learn the underlying skills required to develop computer games. Then, in fourth year, students specialise by taking Computer Games Programming courses as well as completing an approved dissertation topic suitable for this specialism.
Why study Computer Systems (Computer Games Programming) at Heriot-Watt University's Dubai Campus?
- Unlike other universities, ours offers a technical programme that equips students with the right skills for games programming.
- We carry out extensive research in computer science subjects, which feeds into our teaching programmes, keeping them relevant and up to date.
- A large percentage of our graduates get good jobs following graduation.
- We have transfer options to our Edinburgh Campus that allow students to complete their studies in the UK.
- Students who wish to remain in Dubai after graduating with an Honours degree award can extend their studies by entering one of our postgraduate Master’s programmes.
Read more about the UAE Federal Accreditation.
We use theory and practice to help you develop basic programming skills and learn how to create mobile apps. In addition, other courses will cover basic computing, mathematical and study skills. These include a course on web design and databases.
Students will continue with Interaction Design, Web Programming, Data Structures and Algorithms, Software Design, Database Management Systems and Programming Languages.
Students will study the following topics: Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Intelligent Agents, Knowledge Management, Operating Systems, Professional Development and Language Processors. In addition, you will work on a group programming project.
Students work on a major individual project and also carry out studies in advanced topics such as Big Data Management, Industrial Programming, Mobile Communications and Programming, Computer Games Programming and Network Applications.
Prospects in the games development industry are excellent. The growth in computer games on personal computers, and on mobile devices, has increased the demand for experts who can design, implement and manage computer games combining rich computational, communication and multimedia facilities for non-specialist users.
Our entry criteria are listed below. However, please note that the final decision remains at the discretion of the course director after evaluating scores of individual relevant subjects.
Students who are eligible to be admitted directly into second year can choose to join the first year, where available.
First year entry
- GCE A-Level - CCC (or AABB at AS-Level)
- CBSE/Other Indian Boards - 65%.
- American High School Diploma/SABIS - 70% + SAT I – 1000 (500 English and 500 Math)
- Tawjihiyya - 80% or Elite/Advance - 75% + EmSAT (English 1400 and 700 Maths)
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme - 24 points (3 HL, and 3 SL)
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma - MMM
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent - 70%
- Russian/Kazakhstan (Attestat) - Grades of 5 in every subject + IELTS 6.0
- French Baccalaureate - 13/20 + IELTS 6.0
- Lebanese Baccalaureate - 80% or 13/20 + IELTS 6.0
- Foundation year - Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme (Engineering) with a BBBB.
- Compulsory subjects to include English.
Second year entry
- GCE A-Levels - BBC
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme - 27 points (3 HL – including Computer Science, and 3 SL)
- CBSE/Other Indian Boards - Overall 85%
- American High School/SABIS - 70% + 3 AP at grade 4 (Including Computer Science) or Minimum 3 SAT Subjects (SAT II) 500 each, Including Computer Science.
- Higher National Diploma (HND) - PPP
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma - DDD
- FBISE Grade 12 or equivalent - 85%
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Compulsory subjects to include Computer Science and English.
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
English language requirements
As our degrees are taught and assessed in English, applicants must be able to prove their level of English language ability. To know more, please refer to our English language requirements.
Fees and funding
- AED 70412 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.