BSc (Hons) Computer Science (Data Science)
Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4 571 7000
Our BSc Computer Science (Data Science) degree focuses on constructing robust and useable systems. As well as looking at cutting edge tools and techniques, it’s designed to help you build the next generation of software tools that other system constructors will use. The course aims to give a well-integrated balance of theoretical underpinnings and practical experience, strongly informed by the research expertise of our academic staff.
In the later years of the course, you’ll have the option to specialise and develop the skills needed to be a data scientist. Specifically, you will have the ability to develop and perform large-scale, repeatable data analyses grounded in statistical modelling. The term data science is often used interchangeably with big data or data analytics. It is becoming increasingly important as huge amounts of complex academic, business and government data are being generated from many largely online sources. This swelling lake of data needs increasing numbers of skilled personnel with the capacity to analyse and make sense of it all. That in turn requires that such personnel be trained in the latest skills and techniques in data science.
Our Computer Science (G400) degree is accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Engineering Council, fully meeting the academic requirement for Incorporated Engineer and partially meeting the academic requirement for a Chartered Engineer.
It’s also accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Science Council for the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Scientist.
Accreditation will be sought from the BCS for this Data Science specialism.
Read more about the UAE Federal Accreditation.
You will cover basic programming skills, the creation of apps for mobile devices, an introduction to computer systems, web design, databases and discrete mathematics.
You will continue with software design - both high-level architectural issues as well as algorithms and data structures. Other topics are databases, hardware-software interface, interaction design and more advanced programming courses.
You will study topics such as artificial intelligence, communications, networking, operating systems as well as more formal aspects of computing. You will also undertake a group programming project.
You will study big data management, data mining and machine learning, and a choice of other advanced topics such as bio inspired computation, data visualization and analytics, network security. You will also undertake a major individual project in Data Science.
More in-depth information on the content of the courses listed above, how they are assessed and the learning outcomes can be accessed via our current student portal.
Our entry criteria are listed below. However, please note that the final decision remains at the discretion of the course director after evaluating scores of individual relevant subjects.
Students who are eligible to be admitted directly into second year can choose to join the first year, where available.
First year entry
- GCE A-Level - CCC (or AABB at AS-Level)
- CBSE/Other Indian Boards - 65%.
- American High School Diploma/SABIS - 70% + SAT I – 1000 (500 English and 500 Math)
- Tawjihiyya - 80% or Elite/Advance - 75% + EmSAT (English 1400 and 1200 Maths)
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme - 24 points (3 HL – including Maths, and 3 SL)
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma - MMM
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent - 70%
- Russian/Kazakhstan (Attestat) - Grades of 5 in every subject + IELTS 6.0
- French Baccalaureate - 13/20 + IELTS 6.0
- Lebanese Baccalaureate - 80% or 13/20 + IELTS 6.0
- Foundation year - Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme (Engineering) with a BBBB.
- Compulsory subjects to include Mathematics and English.
Second year entry
- GCE A-Levels - BBC
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme - 27 points (3 HL – including Maths and Computer Science, and 3 SL)
- CBSE/Other Indian Boards - Overall 85%
- American High School/SABIS - 70% + 3 AP at grade 4 (Including Maths and Computer Science) or Minimum 3 SAT Subjects (SAT II) 500 each, Including Maths and Computer Science.
- Higher National Diploma (HND) - PPP
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma - DDD
- FBISE Grade 12 or equivalent - 85%
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Compulsory subjects to include Mathematics, Computer Science and English.
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
English language requirements
As our degrees are taught and assessed in English, applicants must be able to prove their level of English language ability. To know more, please refer to our English language requirements.
Fees and funding
- AED 70412 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.