Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 52 2139432
The programme covers the main civil engineering disciplines of Structures, Geotechnics, Water Engineering and Transportation Engineering, and provides students with the key analytical and practical skills and knowledge required to become chartered civil or structural engineers. After graduation, students are equipped to work for consultants, contractors or government at senior management level.
The core curriculum includes instruction in all main subject areas, concentrating on analysis and materials behaviour with an increasing focus on design and management in the specialisation years. Throughout, there is an emphasis on the personal development of students within a professional environment.
Why study Civil Engineering at Heriot-Watt University's Dubai Campus?
- The first and only programme in the Gulf region to offer a UK Civil Engineering degree.
- The first and only civil engineering programme in the Gulf region to be accredited by the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), the Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE), the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation (CIHT), and the Institute of Highway Engineers (IHE).
- Gives you engineering skills to create landmark civil engineering structures – the transformation of ideas into reality.
- Our programme is designed to help shape the built environment for the 21st century, not only in terms of civil engineering but also to support a sustainable, energy efficient and green society.
The Dubai Campus is accredited by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and fully licensed to teach its degrees in Dubai. All graduates receive a British degree that is accredited by Royal Charter in the UK.
This degree is accredited as partially satisfying the educational base for a Chartered Engineer (CEng). In common with other BEng accredited degrees, a programme of accredited Further Learning will be required to complete the educational base for CEng.
Accreditation is a mark of assurance that the degree meets the standards set by the Engineering Council in the UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC). An accredited degree will provide you with some or all of the underpinning knowledge, understanding and skills for eventual registration as an Incorporated (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng). Some employers recruit preferentially from accredited degrees, and an accredited degree is likely to be recognised by other countries that are signatories to international accords.
Note that the programme structure below is provided to illustrate the distribution of teaching and is subject to developmental change.
- Mechanics A
- Civil Engineering Applications 1
- Construction Technology 1
- Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists 1
- Mechanics B
- Introduction to Materials
- Introduction to Engineering Design
- Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists 2
Students take part in site visits to a range of construction sites
- Analysis of Determinate Structures
- Hydraulics and Hydrology A
- Surveying and Monitoring in the Built and Natural Environment
- Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists 3
- Civil Engineering Materials
- Stress Analysis and Element Strength
- Design Studies A - Problem Solving
- Statistics for Science
- Design of Steel Elements
- Transport Design, Infrastructure and Society
- Indeterminate Structures
- Geology and Soil Properties
- Hydraulics and Hydrology B
- Geotechnics A - Introduction to Soil Mechanics
- Design of Concrete Elements
- Environmental Technology and Management
- Dissertation 1 Civil Engineering programme (S1, mandatory)
- Geotechnics B - Soil Strength (mandatory)
- Highway Engineering (optional)
- Structural Element Design (optional)
- Sustainability for Construction Professionals (optional)
- Dissertation 1 Civil Engineering programme (S2, mandatory)
- Civil Engineering Design Project (mandatory)
- Foundation Engineering (mandatory)
- Plastic Analysis of Structures (optional)
- Urban Drainage and Water Supply (optional)
- Water and Wastewater Treatment (optional)
Graduates from the Civil Engineering programme can expect to find jobs in multinational civil and structural engineering companies, government organisations and small to mediumsized private sector firms (building, civil and structural engineering).
Our entry criteria are listed below. However, please note that the final decision remains at the discretion of the course director after evaluating scores of individual relevant subjects.
Students who are eligible to be admitted directly into second year can choose to join the first year, where available.
First year entry
- GCE A-Level CCC (or AABB at AS-Level)
- CBSE 65%.
- American High School Diploma + SAT 1s - 1000
- Tawjihiyya 80%
- International Baccalaureate 24 points.
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma MMM
- Foundation year Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme (Engineering) with a BBBB.
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent – 70%
- Curriculum Russian/Kazakhstan (Attestat) with minimum grade of 5 + IELTS 6.0
- EmSAT minimum 1400 English, 1300 Maths, 1100 Physics, 1100 Chemistry
- Compulsory subjects to include Mathematics, Physics and English.
Second year entry
- GCE A-Levels BBC.
- International Baccalaureate 27 points.
- CBSE Overall 85%
- American High School 70% + 3 AP at grade 4 OR Minimum 3 SAT 2’s 500 each
- Higher National Diploma (HND) PPP
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma DDD
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent 85%
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction at secondary school, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0 Academic (with no element below 5.5).
Fees and funding
- AED 65100 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.