PhD Mathematical and Computer Sciences
Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4 571 7000
The School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences welcomes PhD applications in Computer Science by Research on the Dubai campus.
Applicants with an interest in the broad area of computing are encouraged to apply.
The School in Dubai offers a unique opportunity to conduct outstanding research in the areas of Artificial Intelligence, Data Science and Information Security. We foster a multidisciplinary research culture in collaboration with the Edinburgh Campus and are looking to strengthen mutually beneficial links with industry and government partners in the UAE.
Read more about the UAE Federal Accreditation.
PhD study on the Dubai Campus will enable students to work with staff and students in Dubai in collaboration with a research group in Edinburgh performing high value and fundamental research in Computer Science. Industry-based applied research can also be pursued if the right circumstances are available.
Students will be working under the supervision of an expert academic supervisor based at the Dubai campus and supported by a second supervisor in Edinburgh, with the option of having a third supervisor if needed. In addition to time spent doing research project work, students will review scientific literature and participate in research group discussions and meetings. Students will also be expected to publish their work in high impact journals.
On completion of the research project, students spend some six months 'writing up' to produce a final PhD. Once the thesis has been submitted, internal and external academics will examine the student’s work and knowledge of the PhD subject.
Research topics for PhD supervision
Research areas and topics of interest may include (but are not limited to):
- Predictive Analytics and Big Data Analytics
- Semantic Technologies
- Visualization and Software Engineering
- Mathematical and Event-Based Modeling
- Applications in Smart Cities, Healthcare, Finance, Logistics, Energy and Construction
- Machine Learning/Deep learning/Trust-based AI
- Natural Language Processing and Text Analytics
- Parallel and Evolutionary Computing
- Multimedia, Medical Imaging and Computer Vision
- Applications in Healthcare, Robotics, Sentiment Analysis, Social Profiling and Education
- Malware Detection using Machine Learning
- Access Control Systems
- P2P Security
- Forensics and Cybersecurity
PhD topics in Mathematical Sciences will also be considered. In particular, topics related to Actuarial Science, Mathematical Modelling, Model Checking, Quantitative Risk Management, Islamic Finance and Takaful are welcomed.
Applications may include different areas in Finance, Insurance and Stock Market prediction.
The research proposal (normally three to four pages) should contain as much as possible of the following:
- Introduction or outline of the proposed topic
- Statement of objective(s) and/or specific research questions
- Summary of some of the relevant literature that supports the research objective(s)
- An indication of the intended research methodology
- An indication of the theoretical structure and/or conceptual outline
- A provisional timetable of the major phases of the research process
- Results expected from the research, e.g., practical value of the research or possible contributions to knowledge, policy or methodology. At this stage we are not looking for a definitive document but merely an indication that you have thought through most of the above issues. Please note that work submitted may be subject to screening using plagiarism software.
- Interested applicants should complete the online application form, making clear on the form that you are applying to study at the Dubai Campus.
- If you have any questions about the application process, contact Dr. Neamat El Gayar (email@example.com) Associate Director of Research.
Applicants interested in our PhD opportunities need to submit the following:
- Copies of full academic transcripts from all previous academic degree courses and copies of certificates for degrees already awarded.
- Confirmation of funding source and/or confirmation of sponsorship/sufficient funds to pursue studies.
- A detailed research proposal.
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction during previous education, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.5. Other qualifications may also be considered.
Fees and funding
- AED 88583 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.