Our rewards and benefits
Our staff enjoy friendly on-campus communities, competitive financial rewards, and an extensive range of health, wellbeing and family benefits.
For employees working on our UK campuses the following benefits are available. Please note different terms and conditions apply for employees of the Edinburgh Business School and Oriam.
Friendly on-campus communities
You’ll find a friendly atmosphere and a collegiate environment at Heriot-Watt, a place where you can perform to the best of your ability and progress your career in a meaningful way.
We think you’ll enjoy being part of our close-knit, supportive community and find our campuses offer excellent work environments with a range of facilities and opportunities that enhance your working life.
Find out more about the facilities at our campuses:
Our employment offer for UK Campuses includes a range of financial rewards.
- Competitive salaries on pay scales with annual increments (until the top of the pay scale is reached).
- A generous holiday entitlement of either 28 or 33 days, depending on your grade (and campus).
- An additional 9-10 Academic Buildings Closed Days.
- Defined benefits pension scheme, which includes a generous employer contribution.
- Free car parking.
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Give as you Earn
- If you are relocating to our Edinburgh Campus, you may be eligible for removal expenses and/or resettlement allowance.
- Use our total rewards calculator to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.
We understand that learning and development is vital to our success and, as a member of staff here, you'll enjoy a range of opportunities to develop your career.
- We offer a comprehensive career development programme.
- We operate a Staff scholarship scheme for members of staff of the University, and a Remission of Fees scheme for spouses/civil partners and children of members of staff, and retired members of staff of the University.
- Staff are free to use our extensive on-campus libraries.
As part of our commitment to improving the overall work-life balance of our staff, we offer a range of benefits to employees with families.
- Maternity pay at an enhanced rate from statutory levels for employees with over 12 months' service.
- Paternity leave at an enhanced rate from statutory levels (full pay for the first week of leave and statutory pay for the second week).
- Adoption leave at an enhanced rate from statutory levels for employees with over 12 months' service.
- Parental leave for employees with more than 12 months' service. This leave is unpaid and allows employees with a child under 18 years old to take up to 18 weeks of parental leave, per child, before the child’s 18th birthday.
- Our Childcare Voucher scheme operates as a salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to make savings on tax and national insurance contributions.
- Our purpose-built, on-campus nursery, run by Pinocchio’s, is available for children from 3 months to pre-school. You will have peace of mind knowing that you are close at hand if required.
Personal health & wellbeing
We take the wellbeing of our staff and students seriously and are continually improving the range of facilities and support available.
- Reduced rates at our extensive on-campus Oriam, Scotland's National Sports Performance Centre.
- Access to our specialised Treatment & Rehabilitation Centre, which offers physiotherapy, sports massage, complimentary therapy and podiatry treatments, as well as access to a Sports Doctor and nutrition advice.
- Access to our on-campus Dental Practice, which cares for NHS and private patients (registration is dependent on the size of the Practice's patient list).
- Access to our on-campus Medical Centre for employees living within the catchment area. Services are provided by GPs, practice and district nurses, health visitors, midwife, psychiatric nurse and a dietician.
- Generous sick pay provision.
- We are committed to promoting healthy working lives, which has been demonstrated by achieving the Healthy Working Lives Gold Standard Award.