How to apply
Registering and applying online
Please register first at jobs.hw.ac.uk before clicking on the Apply now button. Then once you've found the vacancy you'd like to apply for, click on the 'Apply now' button next to the vacancy. This will take you to the login page:
- Before applying for a specific post please register for the first time at jobs.hw.ac.uk - our secure online application system - iRecruit. You will need your email address and to set a password. You will receive an email confirming your login details.
- Please note - some spam filters may channel the iRecruit emails to your spam/junk/trash folder. Please check your spam folder and update your settings if this occurs.
- You can then login anytime to your account at jobs.hw.ac.uk and either search for jobs in there or on this careers website
- You can update your personal details, references, employment history, qualifications - save as you go.
- You can upload your CV if you have one or create one through the iRecruit system.
- Please note that when you apply for a specific post you cannot save progress. The easiest way is to update all your details first, save them, then "Apply". That way you only need to add the extra information specific to the job, such as supporting statement, skills against competencies, etc. We have set the timeout on this to provide ample time to do this.
- As part of your application you may be asked to complete a brief survey to check our eligibility to work, and an assessment where you rank your skills against some key competency criteria.
If you are an existing employee of Heriot-Watt University you should apply online by clicking on 'HWG Vacancies' via your iHR self-service account, with no need to register your details as you have an iHR login already.
Benefits of applying online
There are a number of benefits to applying online.
- You can complete your application in a few simple steps
- If you don't already have a CV you can create a CV online
- Your details will be saved, making it easier to apply for future vacancies at the University
- Your previous job applications will be saved for your reference
- You will be able to check the status of your application at any time, receive information about interviews and if you're successful receive and accept your job offer online.
- You can receive emails notifying you of new jobs if you set these up in the system
Please note you must complete your application for a job in one session. We have set an ample timeout period for that, but please follow the guide below. That way you can save your details first - then search for and apply for specific jobs later.
- Register first and complete all the personal information, qualification, and employment history and reference fields before applying for a job.
- Save your details
- Apply for the job.
You can change or add information to sections and re-save for any future applications. This information is held confidentially for a limited period of time.
You can also set up email alerts too, to send you emails informing you of new jobs, depending on your search criteria.
Right to Work
You will be asked to complete questions about your eligibility to work in the country you are applying when you make your application. Read our additional information and guidance about Immigration and Eligibility to Work in the UK.
Adding a supporting statement and covering letter
You can add a supporting statement in the space provided or you can attach documents to your application such as a supporting statement, a covering letter or a list of publications.
Applications can be submitted up to midnight in UK time on the closing date. Once you have completed all the sections, click 'Finish' and you will see confirmation that your application has been submitted successfully. You will be able to view jobs you've applied for via your online account.
Progress and correspondence
Once the vacancy has closed, the selection panel will review every application and agree which candidates they would like to interview. You can track your application progress via your online account.
Your personal data is safe with us
We will keep the information you have provided securely and use it only to let you know about vacancies which may be of interest to you. We comply fully with the UK Data Protection Act, 1998 and relevant privacy laws in other countries. We will keep your details for one year and then ask you to re-register if you wish to keep in touch with us.
Need further help?
If you have any questions about the vacancy or have any difficulty in making an online application, please contact the named person in the vacancy details. They will be able to advise you how you can apply. For any other queries regarding your online application please email Human Resources.
You can find answers to some frequently asked questions.