Member of Senate
BSc, PhD, DSc
Membership of professional bodies
- E-Assessment Association (UK)
- Materials Research Society
EPSRC College member
- 1968 BSc Chemistry, University College, Swansea
- 1971 PhD Chemistry, University of Wales
- 1989 DSc University of Wales
- 1 April 2013 Senior Dean of the University, Heriot-Watt University
- 1 August 2007 Dean of the University (Science & Engineering), Heriot-Watt University
- 1996 Professor of Chemistry Heriot-Watt University
- 1989-1996 Reader, Department of Chemistry, Heriot-Watt University
- 1988 Distinguished Visiting Scientist, National Research Council of Canada
- 1985 Distinguished Visiting Scientist, National Research Council of Canada
- 1982 – 1989 Senior Lecturer, Department of Chemistry, Heriot-Watt University
- 1981 – 1982 National Research Council of Canada, Ottawa, Canada
- 1972 – 1982 Lecturer, Department of Chemistry, Heriot-Watt University
- 1971 – 1972 Research Fellow, Department of Chemistry, Heriot-Watt University
Areas of research
- Thermal, laser and plasma chemical vapour deposition, laser chemistry & laser ionisation time-of-flight mass spectrometry.
- Amorphous silicon and thin film diamond.
- Biosensor applications of diamond.
- Diamond coatings for fusion reactors.
- Graphene and carbon nanotubes.
- Educational technology, pedagogy of e-learning & e-assessment.
Interests and hobbies