About Heriot-Watt University Court and its committees
The Court is the governing body of the University will ultimate authority over all of the University’s activities. The responsibilities of the Court are set out in its Statement of Primary Responsibilities.
The Court comprises 25 members, the majority of whom are independent lay members. The remaining membership is made up of elected staff and students and ex-officio members. All members of the Court serve in an individual capacity, exercising their responsibilities in the interests of the University as a whole and not as representatives of any particular constituency.
Lay members of Court are appointed for a period of three years and are eligible to be considered for extensions to their initial period of appointment of up to two further periods of up to three years each. Members of Court committees are appointed for a period of three years and are eligible to be considered for an extension to their initial appointment of up to a further three years.
It is expected that individuals who are appointed as members of the Court will also agree to serve on at least one of the Committees of the Court.
Committees of the Court
Court committees represent the workings arms of the Court, reviewing the work of the University in more depth. Their memberships include members of the Court and other suitably experienced independent lay persons who are not members of the Court. Court committees currently include the following:
- Audit and Risk Committee (normally meets around five times each year)
- Campus Committee (normally meets around five times each year)
- Court Emergency Committee (normally conducts its business by correspondence).
- Finance Committee (normally meets around four times each year)
- Governance and Nominations Committee (normally meets around four times each year) Membership includes the Chairs of key Court committees ex-officio
- Global Student Liaison Committee (normally meets around three times each year)
- Remuneration Committee (normally meets twice each year)
- Staff Committee (normally meets four times each year)
- Ordinances and Regulations Committee (joint committee of the Court and the Senate) (normally meets three to four times each year)
- Endowment Committee (reports to the Finance Committee) (normally meets twice each year)
Learn more about those committees including their Terms of Reference.