Fashion Marketing & Retailing BA (Hons)
Our Fashion Marketing and Retailing programme confidently prepares students for a career within the marketing and retailing industry. Students acquire creative, critical and transferable skills for marketing and retailing, which are fashion focused yet broad. Students are taught the fundamentals of fashion marketing and retailing and the fashion business. We cover the primary needs of the client and the working brief, the focal point of the product and its appeal to customers/consumers, along with key skills such as merchandising, buying, logistics, promotion, advertising and trends analysis to support the product. Extensive links and collaborations with our industrial partners help students to gain a ‘live’ learning experience. Applicants should have a keen desire and aptitude in art and design areas.
Ordinary degree students wishing to progress to the Honours fourth year will need to continue their studies in the UK.
A broad common first year for all Fashion students, which provides a strong skills base for the fashion industry. As well as studying the specific pathways, students will examine Creative and Contemporary Studies to put their work in context. Subject areas include: Marketing and Retailing, Fashion Communication, Textiles, Contemporary and Contextual Studies, Fashion Advertising and PR, CAD and Presentation Skills, and Production and Assembly Knowledge.
Students explore current ideas, issues and innovations related to fashion marketing and retailing. Students engage in a higher level of learning in the areas of Buying, Promotion, Advertising, Merchandising, Brand and Customer Awareness, and Product Analysis and Development. Presentation skills are enhanced with the use of CAD and exploration of various media and website development via Digital Application. A greater understanding of market and consumer is delivered through industrial projects and collaborations in this year.
Focused on students becoming more actively involved in the fashion industry through a variety of interdisciplinary projects, which enable appropriate development of skills and knowledge. At this higher level of study, students undertake subjects in: Business Practice for Fashion, Management and Finance Reports, Industrial Styling and Trends Development.
Available at Heriot-Watt University in the UK.
Upon graduation, students pursue a range of careers and roles within the fashion industry and its related areas of marketing and retailing, including:
- Fashion Buying
- Promotion and Advertising
- Fashion Stylist
- Fashion Sourcing
- Visual Merchandising
- Fashion Coordinator
- Fashion Director
- Retail Merchandiser
- Fashion Public Relations
- Fashion Writer
- Retail Logistics.
Why study Fashion Marketing and Retailing at Heriot-Watt University in Dubai?
- Practical based programme with a strong emphasis on academic standards and ‘live’ collaborations.
- Unique British fashion education where students are involved in the global marketing, promotion, advertising and retail process.
- Praised highly for considerable active press and media coverage received since launching in Dubai.
- Voted number one in Scotland for art and design and eighth in the UK.
Additional studio fees
Studio fees of 650 AED per academic year are applicable for the cost of Year 1 of study only. The fee helps to contribute towards drafting paper and card as well as muslin and thread used for prototype garments. The fee does not cover the cost of other materials such as printing, sketchbooks, fabric for final garments, art supplies or production equipment.
Early application discount - apply now
Apply now and confirm your place on this programme to avail of the early application discount of 3000 AED for a limited period of time.
First year entry
- GCE A Level CCC or equivalent.
- CBSE or equivalent 65%
- American High School Diploma Pass plus SATs with an overall score of 1500.
- UAE Tawjihiyya 80%
- International Baccalaureate 24 points or above.
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma MMM
- Foundation Year Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme Design Studies with a BBBB. Degree Entry Programme Management/Psychology will also be considered.
Third year entry
- Successful completion of an HND in a related field of study (with a merit profile). Please contact the Recruitment and Admissions Office to discuss further.
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case by case basis.
English Language Requirements
- Where English was not the medium of instruction at secondary school, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0, TOEFL 550 (paper-based exam); 213 computer-based exam); 80 (internet-based exam).