Computer Systems BSc
This programme is designed for students looking for a sound foundation, and applied skills in Computing in addition to other professional skills which will enable them to communicate clearly, work independently and co-operate effectively.
In industry, commerce and the public sector, where business transactions are underpinned by technology, these workplaces need individuals that can create and exploit practical and effective systems. Our graduates will move into these sectors armed with a blend of interpersonal and technical skills meeting current needs and those of the organisations of the future.
First year students will cover:
- Software Development
- Interactive Systems
- Computer Systems
- Web Design
Second year students will study:
- Interaction Design
- Internet and Communications
- Data Structures and Algorithms
- Software Design
- Database Management Systems
- Programming Languages
Third year students will study:
- Software Engineering
- Artificial Intelligence
- Intelligent Agents
- Computer Graphics
- Knowledge Management
- Operating Systems
- Professional Development
Prospects in industry, commerce and the public sector are excellent. The growth in network services on computers in the office, home, and on mobile handheld devices, has increased the demand for experts who can design, implement and manage systems combining rich computational, communication and multimedia facilities for non-specialist users.
First year entry
- GCE A-Levels CCC including Mathematics.
- CBSE or equivalent Minimum of 60% in Grade 12 examinations.
- American High School Diploma Pass plus SATs with an overall score of 1500.
- International Baccalaureate 24 points or above with Mathematics.
- Tawjihiyya 80% (IELTS 6.0, TOEFL 550/80).
- Foundation Year Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme (Engineering) or Degree Entry Programme (Management).
Second year entry
- GCE A-Levels BBB including Mathematics and Computing.
- International Baccalaureate 27 points
- CBSE Overall 85%+ (in relevant subjects)
- Successful completion of an equivalent first year undergraduate programme at another university.
- The final decision lies with the Programme Director for students applying for an advanced year entry as all aspects of an application need to be reviewed.
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction during previous education, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0, TOEFL 550 (paper based exam); 213 (computer based exam); 79-80 (internet-based exam).