Business & Finance BA / MA (Hons)
An understanding of business and finance is an essential prerequisite for those who intend to pursue a career in commerce, industry or public administration.
Operating in international markets requires an understanding of international accounting standards, taxation, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, and exchange and interest rates.
It is not surprising that there is a continuing demand for graduates who have specialised in these subjects. Bodies will offer substantial examination exemptions and reduction of pre-qualifying service to approved graduates.
The Heriot-Watt programme in Business and Finance is a joint degree programme with equal emphasis given to the subject areas of management and finance. The aim of the programme is to encourage the development of cognitive skills so that as students progress, they develop knowledge and understanding, learn to apply that knowledge and understanding, and become versed in the deeper approach to learning evidenced by powers of analysis, synthesis and evaluation.
Students will follow introductory courses in four key subject themes of Accountancy and Finance, and Economics and Management
The main aspects of management and finance are developed. Management subjects include Marketing, Organisational Behaviour, and Human Resource Management. Finance subjects include Finance Theory and Markets. Quantitative Techniques courses are taken to equip students with knowledge and skills required in subsequent years.
Students will undertake core finance subjects in Corporate Finance and Security Markets. In addition, students will take business related subjects including Strategic Management, Business Research Methods, Project Management and Operations Management.
The final year provides an opportunity for specialisation in management and studies in International and Contemporary Issues in relevant Business and Finance areas. Students must also undertake a dissertation in an area of business or finance that is of particular interest to them.
The January intake is only open to students who meet all of the following requirements:
- Transferring from another university
- Meet the entry requirements for first year entry
- Carry additional learning or credits of a post-schooling programme that exempts them from the first semester of the programme
First year entry
- CBSE or equivalent Minimum of 60% in Grade 12 examinations.
- American High School Diploma Pass plus SATs with an overall score of 1500.
- GCE A-Level CCC or equivalent.
- International Baccalaureate 24 points or above.
- Tawjihiyya 80% (IELTS 6.0, TOEFL 550/213/79).
- Foundation Year Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme (Management) with a BBBB.
Second year entry
- GCE A Levels BBB in relevant subjects
- International Baccalaureate 27 points
- CBSE Overall 85%+ (in relevant subjects)
- Equivalent programme studied at another university. Please contact us to discuss further.
- The final decision lies with the Programme Director for students applying for an advanced year entry as all aspects of an application need to be reviewed.
Third year entry
- Successful completion of an HND in a related field of study. Please contact us to discuss further.
- Where English was not the medium of instruction at secondary school, applicants must demonstrate English Language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0, TOEFL 550 (paper-based exam); 213 (computer-based exam); 80 (internet-based exam).