Automotive Engineering BEng (Hons)
Engineers use their imagination and knowledge of mathematics, physics and chemistry to devise, apply and manage the technologies that are fundamental to the well-being and advancement of society. Engineers will be crucial in the development of Dubai’s manufacturing industry, which is now being accelerated through the creation of Industrial City.
The provision of well qualified and able engineers is at the heart of Heriot-Watt University’s 180 year heritage, and we are proud to be able to offer yet another of our internationally recognised and respected engineering degrees from our campus here in Dubai.
Automotive engineering continues to be a major employer of professional engineers, owing to the increasing challenge of producing desirable and profitable vehicles. The relevant subjects are the core Mechanical Engineering Sciences together with Electronic Engineering and Materials Engineering, with an increasing emphasis on the design and manufacture processes.
First year Builds upon the foundations of our accredited BEng Mechanical Engineering programme. Students are offered a thorough grounding in first year across the Mechanical Engineering disciplines and in Electronic Engineering then pursue increasingly specialist options in a selection of these areas, as well as in Engineering Design.
Second & Third year
Subjects covered include:
- Strength of Materials
- Machine Dynamics
- Applied Thermodynamics
- Fluid Dynamics
- Materials Engineering
- Design and Manufacture
- Control Engineering and Instrumentation
Students choose specialist subjects and carry out an individual project drawn from a range of topics. Taught subjects include:
- Automotive Technologies
- Manufacturing and Design Assignments
- Fluid Mechanics (optional)
- Thermodynamics (optional)
- Strength of Materials (optional)
- Machine Dynamics (optional)
First year entry
- GCE A-Levels CCC.
- CBSE or equivalent Minimum of 60%. in Grade 12 examinations.
- American High School Diploma Pass plus SATs with an overall score of 1500.
- Tawjihiyya 80% with (IELTS 6.0, TOEFL 550/80).
- International Baccalaureate 24 points or above.
- Foundation Year Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme (Engineering) with a BBBB.
Second year entry
- GCE A-Levels ABB.
- International Baccalaureate Diploma 27 points.
- CBSE Overall 85%+ (in relevant subjects)
- Qualifications must include core subjects of Mathematics and Physics.
- We will consider equivalent subjects and results from other universities on a case-by-case basis.
Third year entry
- Successful completion of an HND in a related field of study plus work experience. Please contact us to discuss further.
English language requirements
- Where English was not the medium of instruction at secondary school, applicants must demonstrate English Language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0, TOEFL 550 (paper-based exam); 213 (computer-based exam); 80 (internet-based exam).