The Energy MSc at Heriot-Watt provides the opportunity for graduate engineers or scientists and corporate members of related professional bodies to acquire the detailed knowledge needed to meet the challenges and develop opportunities within the energy industry. The programme is directly related to the energy challenges facing every region of the world, including the Gulf region.
Heriot-Watt recognises that learning needs to be flexible and this programme allows experienced and recent graduates to tailor the programme content and structure to their specific needs. The University uses a virtual learning environment (VLE) called Vision, which can be accessed via the Internet. Students will study courses and submit assignments through Vision at their own pace, allowing them to study for a recognised degree alongside their professional career.
Upon graduating from the Master’s programme, graduates will meet the academic requirements for membership of the Energy Institute..
A broad range of Energy disciplines are reflected in this degree, which covers Energy Resources, Energy Efficiency, Environmental Legislation, Environmental Impact Assessment and Energy in Buildings. The programme structure is outlined below.
- Foundations of Energy
Optional (choose three)
- Process Intensification
- Heat Transfer and Heat Exchangers
- Electrical Power Systems
- Renewable Energy Technologies
- Ventilation and Air Conditioning/li>
- Technology Future and Business Strategy
- Critical Analysis and Research Preparation
Optional (choose two)
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Demand Management and Energy Storage
- Building Energy Management
Summer session (mandatory)
- Master’s Dissertation (Master’s students only)
Many of the students on this programme are in employment and by gaining the Master’s degree in Energy they enhance their career prospects with their current employer, both by virtue of the qualification and because they are able to contribute more by applying the knowledge and skills they acquire. As the importance of the energy sector continues to grow, this programme equips graduates to move from other areas into employment in the energy field.
Early application discount - apply now
Apply now and confirm your place on this programme to avail of the early application discount of 3000 AED for a limited period of time.
Postgraduate Masters level
- Bachelors Honours degree A good first or second class Honours degree in a cognate or semicognate discipline.
- Postgraduate Diploma Attainment of 50% pass level in the MSc Energy examinations.
- Professional/corporate membership Membership of a professional institution in a cognate discipline that normally requires an Honours degree for entry.
Postgraduate Diploma level
- Applicants with alternative qualifications and professional experience may be considered for admission to the Postgraduate Diploma, at the discretion of the Programme Director. Students who successfully complete the Diploma will be allowed to transfer to the MSc.
- Where English was not the medium of instruction during previous education, applicants must demonstrate English Language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0, TOEFL 550 (paper-based exam); 213 (computer-based exam); 80 (internet-based exam).