Interior Design BA (Hons)How to apply »
- UCAS code
- BA (Hons)
- Up to 4 years
- Study location
- Scottish Borders
- Delivery type
The programme explores the creative process of Interior Design, from materials and furnishings through retail and event design to architectural alteration and technology. The programme is delivered jointly by the Schools of Textiles and Design and Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society and provides a core set of design skills required by the industry, supported by contextual studies, technology and material expertise. Students tackle projects and tasks that enable them to articulate their own niche in Interior Design.
Please note that students will articulate into year 3, as we are only running Interior Design at years 3 and 4 in the UK. This course is taught at our Scottish Borders Campus in Galashiels.
A four year BA Interior Design programme is offered at our Dubai Campus.
Focuses on students working in appropriate interdisciplinary projects and industry collaborations through a combination of independent study, team working and appropriate external projects. This external activity provides students with industry awareness as well as giving them first-hand knowledge of contextualising their own work in the contemporary Interior Design discipline.
Learning and teaching
- Scheduled learning: 24%
- Independent study: 76%
- Written: 9%
- Practical: 5%
- Coursework: 86%
Students will consolidate their skills and develop their own Interior Design agenda and creative identity through the initiation, development and production of a self-selected major project.
Learning and teaching
- Scheduled learning: 25%
- Independent study: 75%
- Written: 13%
- Practical: 0%
- Coursework: 87%
Work and study
This is what our BA (Hons)Interior Design students are doing six months after graduating:
- 75% are working
- 20% are studying
- 0% are working and studying.
- 73% of those working are in a professional/managerial position six months after graduating.
These are the most common jobs students go into six months after graduating:
- Design occupations Sales occupations
- Business and public service associate professionals
- Engineering professionals
- Managers, directors and senior officials
- Customer service occupations
- Elementary occupations
- Teaching and educational professionals
- Media professionals
- Administrative occupations
- HND A in graded unit. Entry into Year 3 from appropriate articulated HND/BTEC courses or from Approved Learning Partners (dependent upon places available).
- Portfolio Requirement: Once you have applied to UCAS you will be required to send us your portfolio. Portfolio submission is a prerequisite and will demonstrate an individual interest in interior design. This can be communicated through any media including traditional, observed and expressive drawing, painting, and photography. Our portfolio requirements are explained in the Guidelines to Applicants for Portfolio Programmes.
|Status*||Scotland / EU**||England / Northern Ireland / Wales||International|
|Fee||Paid by SAAS||£9,000||£13,500|
* Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your programme. Find out more about tuition fees.
** European Union countries, not including England, Northern Ireland or Wales.
Scholarships & bursaries
Bursaries for students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales starting undergraduate degree programmes in 2016
In addition to government maintenance loans and grants towards the costs of fees and living costs, we are offering generous financial support to attract and support eligible students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales:
View our full range of undergraduate scholarships