Direct / advanced entry students

If you are entering your degree programme straight in to years 2, 3 or 4, then you'll find this information for direct entrants useful.

We understand that making the journey from college to university can be a challenge, but it’s a route that thousands of students in Scotland take every year. Last year, almost 20% of our new students were direct entrants.

We also know that the better prepared you are, the easier your transition to university will be, so read our top tips for direct entrants and feel free to contact us if you have any other questions.

Top tips for direct entrants

Speak to your College Articulation Adviser

Your College Articulation Adviser can help you with information on finance, making the move from college to university and general advice about what to expect when you get here:

Find out about student life at Heriot-Watt

We think you'll find student life at Heriot-Watt stimulating, interesting and full of new opportunities. Find out about student life on each of our campuses.

Read about some of our current students who came to Heriot-Watt from college:

  • Pawel Orzechowski, BSc Computer Science 
  • Alison Chrystie, BSc Food Science Technology & Management 
  • Debbi Campbell, MEng Electrical & Electronic Engineering 

The Edinburgh, Lothians, Fife & Borders Regional Articulation Hub (ELRAH) supports students making the journey from college to university, and you can find lots of useful information on the ELRAH Student Zone.

Find out your start date

Your academic School will contact you to let you know when you should arrive on campus for enrolment and what date your studies will start.

Sort out your financial support

The Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) website explains what support you are entitled to and includes an online calculator. Bear in mind that you may be entitled to different financial support than you had at college.

We also offer a wide range of generic and subject-specific undergraduate scholarships and bursaries.

More information

Missed a chance to visit Heriot-Watt?

If you haven't visited either our Edinburgh or Scottish Borders campuses and would like to, either individually or with a group of fellow students, you should contact Patricia Reid, Colleges and Wider Access Officer on, to arrange a campus tour.

Additional support needs

If you have additional support needs, or think that you may require extra help with your studies because of a disability, please contact our Student Support team.

If you need answers to particular questions…

Patrica Reid ( can give you pre- and post-application advice and guidance.