Living in the UK
On these pages you will find a variety of information about living in the UK, including accessing healthcare and practical advice for students with families.
The International Student Advisors' Office is here to help you make the transition to studying and living in the UK and can help you with a range of needs from setting up a UK bank account to driving on our roads.
Our pre-arrival guidance for international students also provides much of the information that you will need.
You may also find the following websites useful:
- Culture Shock
- Don't be afraid to ask for help
- UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) contains a lot of useful information regarding life in the UK and a comprehensive list of information sheets.
- RAS (Relocation Advisory Service) is part of the Scottish Government and has a very good website offering advice about relocating to Scotland.
- DirectGov (UK Government) offers information on public services.
- Education UK (British Council) has a lot of information about living and studying in the UK. It also contains information about working while studying and about the UK education system.
- Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) is the website to check if you plan to drive in the UK with your foreign driving licence.
- Host UK is a voluntary organisation that enables international students to stay with a UK host family for a weekend. The stay is free of charge - you only need to pay for your transport to the host's home and back.