National flag of Thailand

Student life at Heriot-Watt

We pride ourself on being an international university; international students make up about one third of our student population.

We have about 65 students from Thailand, almost all of whom are studying postgraduate programmes.

Popular Programmes

Previous students from Thailand have studied:

Meet our graduates from Thailand

Dawjai, MSc Energy, 2012Dawjai, MSc Energy, 2012

Heriot–Watt's Edinburgh Campus is very nice with beautiful scenery and various facilities. There is a small forest with a lake and lots of space for walking, running and relaxing. Students can use the Centre for Sport and Exercise for fitness, football and indoor and outdoor sports. There is also a library, professional laboratories and large group study rooms. 

The University is less than an hour's bus ride into the capital city center, where there is great shopping, food, entertainment, and culture.

I graduated from MSc Energy Engineering. The programme is very interesting and I would recommend it to anybody. The work is really hands-on, the lecturers are approachable and many classes are based on group-learning, involving each student in discussions.

Ekkapong Siriphan, MSc Strategic Project Management, 2013Ekkapong Siriphan, MSc Strategic Project Management, 2013

I studied MSc Strategic Project Management from 2012-2013 at Heriot-Watt University. The programme is quite challenging and includes examinations, presentations and group projects. It encourages students to be professional project managers or senior managers and provides the tools and techniques required.

The Edinburgh Campus has beautiful nature and an international atmosphere, with students from across the world. Heriot-Watt is continually developing an academic environment and investing in the future by expanding the campuses in UK and other regions, i.e. Malaysia and Dubai.

In my opinion, the city of Edinburgh is one of the best places in the world. It is a compact and varied place with world heritage sites, beautiful tourist attractive places and peaceful nature.

Entry requirements

These entry requirements are intended as a guide only. Please contact us or the School's admissions tutor to find out the actual requirements for the programme you want to study.



  • For most of our Masters level programmes we require a good first degree in a relevant subject ideally with a GPA of 3.0. However, students with lower GPA scores (2.5 and over) may sometimes be considered. Other factors such as the relevance of the subjects studied and the institution that awarded the degree will also be taken into account. Any relevant work experience will also be considered.

English language requirements

If you do not meet our English language requirements, you can apply to one of our academic English programmes, which are specifically designed to prepare you with the language and study skills needed for academic study.

Tuition fees

Tuition fees are listed alongside each programme in the online prospectuses.

Tuition fees are higher for international students. If you are unsure what your residency status is, you can complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess whether you have a relevant connection to the UK that might positively influence your fee status.

Learn more about applying for student support in Scotland.

Scholarships & bursaries

At Heriot-Watt we believe that a university education is an investment in your future. That is why we offer a generous package of scholarships to encourage and support well qualified, ambitious students to come and study with us. See the full list of scholarships that you may be eligible to apply for.

The following scholarships are available to all international students who choose to study at Heriot-Watt:

Our representatives in Thailand

We work with approved representatives in Thailand who can help you apply and enrol on your chosen programme.Find your nearest representative.

Visa & immigration information

Because you are from a visa national country you will have to apply for a UK visa to come to study at Heriot-Watt University regardless of the length of time you expect to study in the UK.

Student Visitor Visa

The Student Visitor Visa is only for non-EEA visa national students coming to study a short course of less than 6 months (or less than 11 months for an English language course). With this visa, you cannot work in the UK and cannot extend it from within the UK.

Tier 4 Student Visa (in-country application)

The Tier 4 Student visa is for all non-EEA students coming to study in the UK for over 6 months.

To apply for this visa you need to fill the VAF9 and VAF9 Appendix 8: Tier 4 (General) forms and provide the requested supporting documents as specified in the Tier 4 guidance. You will also have to provide your CAS number from your Tier 4 sponsor (Heriot-Watt University), and your biometric features (10-digit finger scans and a digital photograph) in person as part of the application process.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

If you are a postgraduate student you may need to apply for an additional certificate under the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS).

Only certain programmes are affected by the scheme; your academic School at Heriot-Watt will send you more information about this along with your unconditional offer. Or you can check the Foreign & Commonwealth Office's list of programmes that request the ATAS certificate.

Your ATAS certificate should be printed and submitted as part of the visa application process.

More information

Further information and help can be found on Heriot-Watt University's International Student Advisors' Office (ISAO) website.

Working in the UK

Tier 4 student visa holders studying at higher educational institutions are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during term time, and full time during vacations if studying at degree level or above, or studying a foundation degree (a programme that leads to a qualification at level 8 of the SCQF).

Students studying any other programme will only be able to work up to 10 hours per week during term time, and full time during vacations.

Please note that term time covers all periods of your programme when you are doing academic work, and includes for example preparing for examinations and time spent producing MSc projects, dissertations and writing up thesis.

Learn more about working during your studies.

Working conditions for Tier 4 dependants

  • Dependants of students from outside Europe who come to the UK to study for less than 12 months will be prohibited from working
  • Dependants of students from outside Europe who come to the UK to study a programme that is below degree level (except a foundation degree programme) will also be prohibited from working
  • Dependants of students from outside Europe who come to the UK to study a programme at degree level for 12 months or more will be able to work during their stay in the UK (part time or full time).

Please note: from 4 July 2011, non EEA international students can only bring their dependants to the UK if they are coming to study at postgraduate level on a programme lasting for at least 12 months (or 6 months if you are a government-sponsored student). To find out if your family members can join you in the UK, please see the guide for Tier 4 family.

Find out more about dependants and bringing your family to the UK.

More information

You can visit our Careers Advisory Service website for more guidance on employment during and after your studies.