Student life at Heriot-Watt
Heriot-Watt has been a popular destination for students from India for a number of years. We currently have 25 Indian students on our undergraduate programmes, and around 50 students on Master programmes.
Previous students from India have studied:
- Actuarial Science (BSc / MSc)
- BEng Engineering
- MA Business Management
- Actuarial Science (BSc / MSc)
- Construction Project Management (BSc / MSc)
- Brewing & Distilling (BSc / MSc)
- MSc Fashion and Textiles Management
- MSc Renewable Energy Engineering
- Electronics & Computer Engineering
- MSc Petroleum Engineering
Indian students are an active part of Heriot-Watt Student Union's Indian Pakistani society and are busy networking with other Indian students in Edinburgh.
Scottish Development International (SDI) in India is currently setting up a business network for Indian alumni of Scottish Universities.
Meet our graduates from India
- Video 1
- Video 2
Bhavya Mandana, MSc Brewing & Distilling
I completed my MSc in Brewing & Distilling at Heriot-Watt University and I thoroughly enjoyed studying here! The encouragement and support you receive from the faculty, as well as your peers, in all spheres from academic to social, drives you to strive for excellence, and discover your full potential. Placements in well renowned companies serve as the cherry on top!
The many clubs and activities on campus cater to almost all hobbies and cultures. The university campus is beautiful and provides for great recreation, and a peaceful place to study. Also, Edinburgh is a charming place to live in, reflecting a culmination of ancient and modern architecture and lifestyles. The people are lovely, and always ready to help. Overall, a brilliant place to be in! The more you know, the more you want to be here!
Aritra Ghosh, MSc Renewable Energy & Distributed Generation
My experience with Heriot-Watt is just amazing.
It has a great environment for study, friendly faculty and staff and a wonderful campus.
Edinburgh is one of the most beautiful green cities and the people of Scotland are the most helpful and friendly. I never felt alone here.
Please come and experience with this world-class university!
Ajit Wadhwa, MSc Construction Project Management
My experience at Heriot-Watt had been great and those fond memories of my stay and education over there will remain with me forever.
The nice blend of quality education, quite and picturesque locales and friendly people makes it a life-long experience.
Besides the quality education and working experience, one can interact with people from different nations and learn about their cultures and traditions. This could boost up one's career prospects as well.
These entry requirements are intended as a guide only. Please contact us or the School's admissions tutor to find out the actual requirements for the programme you want to study.
For more details on our application process, get help with your application.
- 65% in year 12 (10+2) with 65% in Maths & physics for the Science & Engineering Pathway.
- We require 75% overall in year 12 state board high school examinations and at least 75% in the relevant subjects. For example if you want to study Chemical Engineering, you would need to have 75% in both Maths and Chemistry.
- For students taking the West Bengal State board examinations, the pass mark we require is 65%.
- If you do not meet the entry requirements, you can complete a foundation programme, such as the Heriot-Watt International Foundation Pathway, or from another provider before beginning an undergraduate degree.
- Students who have scored highly in year 12 (85%+) may be admitted directly into year 2 of our degree programmes. To check if you would be eligible for year 2 entry, you should send your high school results to the International Recruitment Office.
- For most of our Masters level programmes we require a good first degree in a relevant subject. From most Indian Universities, this means an overall score of 60% or above. We will consider students whose grades are slightly lower than this (55% or above) and this will depend on other factors (such as the university that awarded the degree, any relevant work experience, the quality of the references you can provide etc).
English language requirements
If you do not meet our English language requirements, you can apply to one of our academic English programmes, which are specifically designed to prepare you with the language and study skills needed for academic study.
Tuition fees are listed alongside each programme in the online prospectuses.
Tuition fees are higher for international students. If you are unsure what your residency status is, you can complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess whether you have a relevant connection to the UK that might positively influence your fee status.
Learn more about applying for student support in Scotland.
Scholarships & bursaries
At Heriot-Watt we believe that a university education is an investment in your future. That is why we offer a generous package of scholarships to encourage and support well qualified, ambitious students to come and study with us. See the full list of scholarships that you may be eligible to apply for.
The following scholarships are available to all international students who choose to study at Heriot-Watt:
Our visits to India
Our International Recruitment Office attends education exhibitions and recruitment fairs in India. Come and visit our stand at one of the following exhibitions to find out more about us, our programmes, and to get advice on how to apply:
- 3rd & 4th February 2016: Kolkata
- 6th February 2016: Chennai
Venue: British Council UK Education Fair, Taj Coromandel Chennai; 2:00pm-7:00pm
- 7th February 2016: Bangalore;
Venue: British Council UK Education Fair, Taj Vivanta, MG Road; 2:00pm-7:00pm
- 14th & 15th February 2016: Kochi
- 23rd & 24th February 2016: Coimbatore
Please contact Anita Abbi at email@example.com to fix appointment for meeting in Kochi, Kolkata and Coimbatore.
Our local office in India
Heriot-Watt University has a regional office in India, with our own in-country representative, Anita Abbi, who is on hand to offer advice and support to students applying for any of our programmes. Anita represents Heriot-Watt University at education exhibitions and fairs in India and also gives presentations to students in schools and universities around the country.
Anita is based in New Delhi but can arrange to meet you at one of our approved local representatives around the country if you would like to discuss your application with her in person.