Meet our graduates from India

Bhavya Mandana, MSc Brewing & Distilling

Bhavya Mandana I completed my MSc in Brewing & Distilling at Heriot-Watt University and I thoroughly enjoyed studying here! The encouragement and support you receive from the faculty, as well as your peers, in all spheres from academic to social, drives you to strive for excellence, and discover your full potential. Placements in well renowned companies serve as the cherry on top!

The many clubs and activities on campus cater to almost all hobbies and cultures. The university campus is beautiful and provides for great recreation, and a peaceful place to study. Also, Edinburgh is a charming place to live in, reflecting a culmination of ancient and modern architecture and lifestyles. The people are lovely, and always ready to help. Overall, a brilliant place to be in! The more you know, the more you want to be here!

Aritra Ghosh, MSc Renewable Energy & Distributed Generation

Aritra Ghosh My experience with Heriot-Watt is just amazing.

It has a great environment for study, friendly faculty and staff and a wonderful campus.

Edinburgh is one of the most beautiful green cities and the people of Scotland are the most helpful and friendly. I never felt alone here.

Please come and experience with this world-class university!

Ajit Wadhwa, MSc Construction Project Management

Ajit Wadhwa My experience at Heriot-Watt had been great and those fond memories of my stay and education over there will remain with me forever.

The nice blend of quality education, quite and picturesque locales and friendly people makes it a life-long experience.

Besides the quality education and working experience, one can interact with people from different nations and learn about their cultures and traditions. This could boost up one's career prospects as well.

Student life at Heriot-Watt

Heriot-Watt has been a popular destination for students from India for a number of years. We currently have 25 Indian students on our undergraduate programmes, and around 50 students on Master programmes.

Popular programmes

Popular programmes with students from India include:

  • Actuarial Science
  • Engineering
  • Business & Management
  • Business Management
  • MBA
  • Actuarial Science
  • Construction Project Management
  • Brewing & Distilling,
  • Fashion & Textiles Management
  • Renewable Energy
  • Electronics & Computer Engineering
  • Petroleum Engineering

Student societies

Indian students are an active part of Heriot-Watt Student Union's and are busy networking with other Indian students in Edinburgh.

Alumni groups

There is an India Watt Club Facebook page and a Linkedin group.

Scottish Development International (SDI) in India is currently setting up a business network for Indian alumni of Scottish Universities.

Entry requirements

These entry requirements are intended as a guide only. Please contact us or the School's admissions tutor to find out the actual requirements for the programme you want to study.


For Level 1 entry to our degree programmes, we require 75% overall in year 12 state board high school examinations and at least 75% in the relevant subjects. For example if you want to study Chemical Engineering, you would need to have 75% in both Maths and Chemistry.

For students taking the West Bengal State board examinations, the pass mark we require is 65%.

If you do not meet the entry requirements, you can complete an Undergraduate Certificate at our International Study Centre. Providing you successfully completes the Undergraduate Certificate with a score of 65% or over, you will be eligible to fast-track to Level 2 of an undergraduate programme at Heriot-Watt.

Advanced entry

In Scotland a degree is 4 years because Scottish students take their final high school examinations in year 11. This means that Level 1 (first year) at university in Scotland is slightly easier than in England. So, students who have scored highly in year 12 may be admitted directly into Level 2 (second year) of our degree programmes. To check if you would be eligible for Level 2 entry, you should send your high school results to the International Recruitment Office.


For most of our Masters level programmes we require a good first degree in a relevant subject. From most Indian Universities, this means an overall score of 60% or above. We will consider students whose grades are slightly lower than this (55% or above) and this will depend on other factors (such as the university that awarded the degree, any relevant work experience, the quality of the references you can provide etc).

If your degree does not meet the entry requirements for your chosen programme, we may require you to complete a pre-masters qualification with our International Study Centre. However, this is not available for all programmes, so please check with the International Recruitment Office or the School’s admissions tutor first.

English language requirements

English language requirements for entry to Heriot-Watt University programmes

To study at Heriot-Watt University you must demonstrate that your English level is high enough for university study. We usually ask for the following English language scores:

English language requirements for entry to Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt English requirementsIELTSTOEFL iBTPearson PTECambridge
Postgraduate*6.5 overall89 overall62 overallCAE (grade C) overall
  with minimum:
Listening 6.0
Speaking 6.0
Reading 6.0
Writing 6.0
with minimum:
Listening 19
Speaking 22
Reading 20
Writing 20
with minimum:
Listening 57
Speaking 57
Reading 57
Writing 57
with minimum:
Listening grade C
Speaking grade C
Reading grade C
Writing grade C

* Exceptions for postgraduate programmes: Languages: IELTS 7.5 or equivalent; Computer Science: IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.

Undergraduate**6.081 overall57 overallFCE (grade B) overall
  with minimum:
Listening 5.5
Speaking 5.5
Reading 5.5
Writing 5.5
with minimum:
Listening 17
Speaking 20
Reading 18
Writing 17
with minimum:
Listening 51
Speaking 51
Reading 51
Writing 51
with minimum:
Listening grade C
Speaking grade C
Reading grade C
Writing grade C

** Exceptions for undergraduate programmes: Actuarial Science: IELTS 6.5 or equivalent; Physics: IELTS 6.5 or equivalent; Textiles & Design: IELTS 6.5 or equivalent; Languages: IELTS 7.5 or equivalent.

Students are advised to contact the individual departments for minimum skills scores for listening, speaking, reading and writing.

English language requirements for visa purposes

The UKBA requires all students to be at the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) B2 level in order to study on a degree programme. Students must have CEFR B2 level in all 4 components of an approved Secure English Language Test (SELT).

Heriot-Watt's English language requirements are higher than the UKBA requirements, and it is the Heriot-Watt English language requirements which you will need to meet to be accepted onto your degree. In most cases, if you meet the Heriot-Watt English language requirements you will also meet the entry requirements for a Tier 4 visa.

In very few cases, you may be accepted onto a Heriot-Watt degree but be lower than the UKBA requirement in just one component (listening, speaking, reading or writing). In this case, you can either re-take a SELT or you can join our pre-sessional academic English programme.

English language requirements for visa purposes
CEFR levelIELTSTOEFL iBTPearson PTECambridge
B2 for degree level studyOverall: 5.5

with minimum:
Listening: 5.5
Speaking: 5.5
Reading: 5.5
Writing: 5.5
Overall: 72

with minimum:
Listening: 17
Speaking: 20
Reading: 18
Writing: 17
Overall: 51

with minimum:
Listening: 51
Speaking: 51
Reading: 51
Writing: 51
Overall: First Certificate (FCE) grade C

with minimum:
Listening: borderline
Speaking: borderline
Reading: borderline
Writing: borderline

See the full list of SELTS that are acceptable for entry to the UK on a student visa.

Note: If you have completed your previous studies with English as the medium of instruction, either in the UK or overseas, you will still be expected to take a SELT unless you come from one of the majority English-speaking countries as follows:

  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • The Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Canada
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Jamaica
  • New Zealand
  • St Kitts and Nevis
  • St Lucia
  • St Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • United States of America

If you do not meet the English language requirements

If you do not meet our English language requirements, you can apply to one of our academic English programmes, which are specifically designed to prepare you with the language and study skills needed for academic study. If you pass the assessments on the Academic English language programme, you will be accepted onto your degree programme without the need to take IELTS or another SELT.

We offer 3, 6 and 12 week programmes; your academic School will be able to advise you on which programme you should take.

If you are a non-native speaker of English, we strongly recommend that you complete at least some part of our academic English programme before you start your studies, even if your English is already of a high level.

Find out more and apply for an academic English programme now.

Tuition fees

Tuition fees are listed alongside each programme in the online prospectuses.

Tuition fees are higher for international students. If you are unsure what your residency status is, you can complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess whether you have a relevant connection to the UK that might positively influence your fee status.

Learn more about applying for student support in Scotland.

Scholarships & bursaries

At Heriot-Watt we believe that a university education is an investment in your future. That is why we offer a generous package of scholarships to encourage and support well qualified, ambitious students to come and study with us. See the full list of scholarships that you may be eligible to apply for.

Our local office in India

Heriot-Watt University has a regional office in India, with our own in-country representative, Anita Abbi, who is on hand to offer advice and support to students applying for any of our programmes. Anita represents Heriot-Watt University at education exhibitions and fairs in India and also gives presentations to students in schools and universities around the country.

Anita is based in New Delhi but can arrange to meet you at one of our approved local representatives around the country if you would like to discuss your application with her in person.

Visa & immigration information

Because you are from a visa national country you will have to apply for a UK visa to come to study at Heriot-Watt University regardless of the length of time you expect to study in the UK.

Student Visitor Visa


The Student Visitor Visa is only for non-EEA visa national students coming to study a short course of less than 6 months (or less than 11 months for an English language course). With this visa, you cannot work in the UK and cannot extend it from within the UK.

Tier 4 Student Visa (in-country application)

The Tier 4 Student visa is for all non-EEA students coming to study in the UK for over 6 months.

To apply for this visa you need to fill the VAF9 and VAF9 Appendix 8: Tier 4 (General) forms and provide the requested supporting documents as specified in the Tier 4 guidance. You will also have to provide your CAS number from your Tier 4 sponsor (Heriot-Watt University), and your biometric features (10-digit finger scans and a digital photograph) in person as part of the application process.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

If you are a postgraduate student you may need to apply for an additional certificate under the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS).

Only certain programmes are affected by the scheme; your academic School at Heriot-Watt will send you more information about this along with your unconditional offer. Or you can check the Foreign & Commonwealth Office's list of programmes that request the ATAS certificate.

Your ATAS certificate should be printed and submitted as part of the visa application process.

More information

Further information and help can be found on Heriot-Watt University's International Student Advisors' Office (ISAO) website.

Working in the UK

Tier 4 student visa holders studying at higher educational institutions are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during term time, and full time during vacations if studying at degree level or above, or studying a foundation degree (a programme that leads to a qualification at level 8 of the SCQF).

Students studying any other programme will only be able to work up to 10 hours per week during term time, and full time during vacations.

Please note that term time covers all periods of your programme when you are doing academic work, and includes for example preparing for examinations and time spent producing MSc projects, dissertations and writing up thesis.

Learn more about working during your studies.

Working conditions for Tier 4 dependants

  • Dependants of students from outside Europe who come to the UK to study for less than 12 months will be prohibited from working
  • Dependants of students from outside Europe who come to the UK to study a programme that is below degree level (except a foundation degree programme) will also be prohibited from working
  • Dependants of students from outside Europe who come to the UK to study a programme at degree level for 12 months or more will be able to work during their stay in the UK (part time or full time).

Please note: from 4 July 2011, non EEA international students can only bring their dependants to the UK if they are coming to study at postgraduate level on a programme lasting for at least 12 months (or 6 months if you are a government-sponsored student). To find out if your family members can join you in the UK, please see the guide for Tier 4 family.

Find out more about dependants and bringing your family to the UK.

More information

You can visit our Careers Advisory Service website for more guidance on employment during and after your studies.

Living in the UK

Before you arrive

You should visit Heriot-Watt's new students website, especially the information for international students, which will help you prepare for your first few weeks in the country and at university.

When you travel to the UK, you will need to make sure that you bring with you all the correspondence you had with us, as well as proof that you have enough money to support yourself. For more information on documents you'll need to have available for immigration control at the airport please check the UKCISA website.


The ISAO organises a free shuttle bus service from Edinburgh Airport to the Edinburgh Campus at the start of Freshers' Week (see the new students website for details). There is also a free connecting bus service from the Edinburgh Campus to the Scottish Borders Campus in Galashiels.

If you are planning to arrive outwith Freshers' Week, you'll need to make your own travel arrangements. You can find more information on transport on the campus pages.


You can find information on living on any of our campuses, as well as details on living in private rented accommodation, on the accommodation pages.


You can find our which healthcare services you are entitled to while living in the UK on the Medical Centre website.