Student life at Heriot-Watt

Heriot-Watt University has always been a popular study destination for students from Greece. We normally have around 100 Greek students studying with us, the majority of whom are working towards a Master's degree.

Popular programmes

Popular programmes with students from Greece include:

  • business management
  • finance
  • accountancy
  • civil engineering
  • business management
  • logistics & supply chain management
  • engineering
Entry requirements

These entry requirements are intended as a guide only. Please contact us or the School's admissions tutor to find out the actual requirements for the programme you want to study.


  • National Apolytirion with a minimum of 16/17 on average and a minimum of 16/17 in key subjects.
  • A foundation certificate in a relevant subject area with good results.
  • Advanced entry may be possible if you are transferringĀ from a Greek TEI or university.


  • For most of our Masters level programmes we require a good first degree in a relevant subject.
English language requirements

English language requirements for entry to Heriot-Watt University programmes

To study at Heriot-Watt University you must demonstrate that your English level is high enough for university study. We usually ask for the following English language scores:

English language requirements for entry to Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt English requirementsIELTSTOEFL iBTPearson PTECambridge
Postgraduate*6.5 overall89 overall62 overallCAE (grade C) overall
  with minimum:
Listening 6.0
Speaking 6.0
Reading 6.0
Writing 6.0
with minimum:
Listening 19
Speaking 22
Reading 20
Writing 20
with minimum:
Listening 57
Speaking 57
Reading 57
Writing 57
with minimum:
Listening grade C
Speaking grade C
Reading grade C
Writing grade C

* Exceptions for postgraduate programmes: Languages: IELTS 7.5 or equivalent; Computer Science: IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.

Undergraduate**6.081 overall57 overallFCE (grade B) overall
  with minimum:
Listening 5.5
Speaking 5.5
Reading 5.5
Writing 5.5
with minimum:
Listening 17
Speaking 20
Reading 18
Writing 17
with minimum:
Listening 51
Speaking 51
Reading 51
Writing 51
with minimum:
Listening grade C
Speaking grade C
Reading grade C
Writing grade C

** Exceptions for undergraduate programmes: Actuarial Science: IELTS 6.5 or equivalent; Physics: IELTS 6.5 or equivalent; Textiles & Design: IELTS 6.5 or equivalent; Languages: IELTS 7.5 or equivalent.

Students are advised to contact the individual departments for minimum skills scores for listening, speaking, reading and writing.

If you do not meet the English language requirements

If you do not meet our English language requirements, you can apply to one of our academic English programmes, which are specifically designed to prepare you with the language and study skills needed for academic study. If you pass the assessments on the Academic English language programme, you will be accepted onto your degree programme without the need to take IELTS or another SELT.

We offer 3, 6 and 12 week programmes; your academic School will be able to advise you on which programme you should take.

If you are a non-native speaker of English, we strongly recommend that you complete at least some part of our academic English programme before you start your studies, even if your English is already of a high level.

Find out more and apply for an academic English programme now.

Tuition fees

Tuition fees are listed alongside each programme in the online prospectuses.

Tuition fees are higher for international students. If you are unsure what your residency status is, you can complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess whether you have a relevant connection to the UK that might positively influence your fee status.

Learn more about applying for student support in Scotland.

Scholarships & bursaries

At Heriot-Watt we believe that a university education is an investment in your future. That is why we offer a generous package of scholarships to encourage and support well qualified, ambitious students to come and study with us. See the full list of scholarships that you may be eligible to apply for.

Visa & immigration information

Because you are a European Economic Area (EEA) citizen, you can live and study in the UK without needing a visa. You will still need to provide a valid passport or national identity card in order to enter the UK.

Learn more about immigration rules for EEA citizens and Swiss nationals, including details on bringing your family to the UK.

You can also visit our International Student Advisors Office website for more information on studying in the UK.

Working in the UK

Because you are an EEA national student you can work in the UK without permission or restriction. Learn more about working in the UK.

You can also visit our Careers Advisory Service website for more guidance on employment during and after your studies.

Living in the UK

Before you arrive

You should visit Heriot-Watt's new students website, especially the information for international students, which will help you prepare for your first few weeks in the country and at university.

When you travel to the UK, you will need to make sure that you bring with you all the correspondence you had with us, as well as proof that you have enough money to support yourself. For more information on documents you'll need to have available for immigration control at the airport please check the UKCISA website.


The ISAO organises a free shuttle bus service from Edinburgh Airport to the Edinburgh Campus at the start of Freshers' Week (see the new students website for details). There is also a free connecting bus service from the Edinburgh Campus to the Scottish Borders Campus in Galashiels.

If you are planning to arrive outwith Freshers' Week, you'll need to make your own travel arrangements. You can find more information on transport on the campus pages.


You can find information on living on any of our campuses, as well as details on living in private rented accommodation, on the accommodation pages.


You can find our which healthcare services you are entitled to while living in the UK on the Medical Centre website.