Accommodation for international, visiting & exchange students
If you are a full-time international student studying for more than one semester, then you are eligible to stay in a University leased flat. We ask for no guarantors and have no administration fees, making the process of renting a property much easier for you than if you were renting private accommodation.
We recommend you arrange temporary accommodation for when you arrive in Edinburgh, and then visit the Accommodation Office on campus to check availability of leased flats.
If you wish to stay in private rented accommodation the criteria is slightly different from that of a UK student. If you don't have a UK-based guarantor (someone in the UK who can guarantee your rent) then the landlord or agency will ask for additional rent in advance (usually 3-6 months) to secure accommodation. Agents or landlords will also generally request two forms of identification and references from a previous landlord.
Exchange & visiting students
If you are only in Edinburgh for one semester, here are some options for finding short-term accommodation:
- On-campus accommodation may be available for one semester depending on availability. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
- Private rented accommodation is usually rented for a minimum of 6 months, but you can try to negotiate with landlords to see if they will accept a shorter tenancy agreement. Check the following sites:
- Private student-only accommodation providers may be able to provide accommodation for one semester depending on availability.
- Student lodgings may have availability for one semester.
- Short-term/holiday accommodation tends to be more expensive but includes bills and may be more suitable for stays of up to a few months.
- Contact our Accommodation Office for help and advice: email@example.com