Accommodation for visiting students
If you are only going to be studying at Heriot-Watt University for one semester, regrettably, we can't guarantee on-campus accommodation, and it is subject to availability. Please complete our application form and return to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will contact you as soon as we can to let you know if your application has been successful. (Please note: students coming for one semester only cannot apply online.)
Meanwhile, you may wish to look at alternative accommodation options in case we are not able to accommodate you:
- Rooms in private flats
- Private student-only accommodation
- Other universities
- Other short-term accommodation
- Temporary accommodation
A number of householders throughout Edinburgh let out rooms in their home to students in the form of lodgings. The University has a list of lodgings near to the campus. However, please note these are not vetted by the university. We advise that you make arrangements to view the properties before signing or agreeing any lease and exchange any money. If you are interested in lodgings please email email@example.com for more information.
You can find rooms available to rent in Edinburgh and the surrounding areas on Studentpad. Unfortunately, we can't arrange this type of accommodation on your behalf as flatmates/landlords wish to meet prospective tenants before coming to an agreement. The shortest tenancy length in private leased flats is usually 6 months. More information is available in the flats for rent booklet.
There are several student-only accommodation buildings in the city centre. These are similar to student halls, but are run by private companies. Anyone studying in Edinburgh can apply. One semester contracts may be available, but you will need to contact them as soon as you are sure you are coming to Edinburgh.
Other universities will sometimes let rooms to students who are not registered with them. Queen Margaret University lets Heriot-Watt students rent rooms in their halls if there is availability. However, as there are no direct buses to Heriot-Watt University, you will need your own transport. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +44 (0) 131 474 0000.
- Destiny Scotland provides nightly, weekly, and monthly accommodation; all bills (including internet) are included. For more information, contact Kirsty Barr on +44 (0) 131 510 3888.
- Fountain Court apartments are serviced apartments available for short term. For more information, contact Carolyn Mackintyre on +44 (0) 131 622 2748.
You may prefer to book temporary accommodation for your arrival while you search for somewhere more permanent to stay.
- It may be possible to book a room on the campus for a few days/week. For availability/cost, please email: email@example.com
- Visit Scotland (Edinburgh Tourist Board) provides a detailed list of hotels and guest houses. For more information, telephone +44 (0) 131 473 3000.
- Scottish Youth Hostel Association runs youth hostels in the city centre. For more information, telephone 0870 155 3255.