Introduction & club history
"Athletics is part of educating the whole person. A man is composed of three parts - mind, body and soul, and only when we instruct each part in such a way that one is not overestimated, but each receives proper emphasis, will we get the finest and truest graduates from our University"
These words were proclaimed by Heriot-Watt alumni Eric Liddell, Olympian athlete and gold medal and bronze medal winner in the 400m and 200m respectively at the 1924 Paris Olympics for Britain.
Heriot-Watt Athletics club is the University's Cross Country, Hill, and Road running club. And this year we are trying hard to expand more into Track and Field! It is a friendly, fun loving place to be. So whether you are wanting to compete at the elite level or to just stay active and have fun, then this is the club for you!
It often helps to find the motivation to run, and to continue running, if you do it with others. We want you to run with us and have a great time doing it! The banter is good, and we have great social nights throughout the semesters at our club sponsors, Cargo and the Hive. We also have a partnership with the running store Run and Become for members to get top quality advice on running kit. †
We do like to get the best out of our teammates and support all the races we take part in. If you come first or last we donít care, we will still be cheering you on! Its taking part and having fun that is the main goal. If you arenít up for the competitions, training round the beautiful grounds of the University is always fun and challenging.
We want anyone with a passion or curiosity for running, of any ability to join us at one or all of our sessions. So donít be shy, come and join us!
What does a typical season involve?
- Mondays 5.30pm. - Different types of sessions led by one of the committee members, meeting at the Sports Centre reception, potential to go into town depending on interest.
- Wednesdays 2.30pm - Speed training led by Dave Campbell, a level 2 coach for endurance athletes, meeting at the Sports Centre reception
- Thursdays 8.15pm - Circuits, in Sports Hall 2
There are many races going on, in and around Edinburgh but the main races we take part in are:
- Stirling University Freshers' Cross Country Challenge (about 3km)
- SSS Road Relay Championships, Glasgow (Men 4 x 4.7 miles, Women 3 x 4.7 miles)
- Glasgow University 5 Mile Road Race
- Edinburgh University Braid Hills Cross Country Races (Men c. 6 miles; Women c. 3 miles)
- SSS Cross Country Championships (Men c. 10km; Women c. 6km)
- BUCS Cross Country Championship
- BUCS Outdoor Athletics Championships
- SSS 10km Road Race Championship, Grangemouth
- SSS Hill Running Championship
- Heriot-Watt Round The Grounds (5km)
How do I join the club?
Go to Sports Centre Reception and join the gym then ask to join the Athletics Club for £10. Alternatively, you can join both the CSE and the Club via our new online system.